1. Notice: I had to turn off email alerts for everyone. Anyone who wants email notification can re-enable the email alerts in their profile at outlookforums.com/account/preferences (and Alert Preferences). Also verify your email address is correct under Contact Details.

Outlook could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable

Discussion in 'Using Outlook' started by Exit39, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Exit39

Exit39

Having trouble sync/downloading my e-mail, and working within Outlook 2010 Beta.Helpless in Rochester
  2. Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

3. Exit39

Exit39

Tons, not an issue. 3mb ram Win64 7Helpless in Rochester
  4. Niyamath Khan

Niyamath Khan

5. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

6. Exit39

Exit39

Fixed this myself. scanpst.exe. Thanks for the suggestions everyoneHelpless in Rochester
  7. Shwarma King

Shwarma King

I also fixed this myself. I was getting the message " Outlook Could Not Create the Work File..." using Vista and Office 2010 Beta. It started happening out of nowhere (I had been running Office 2010 for several months - BTW - can't wait to get a fully licensed version). Anyway, I scheduled a chkdisk at the next start up and haven't had the problem again. None of the other solutions (including regedit on Cache/%Username%) worked for me. I did not run scanpst like the guy above.
  8. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

I also fixed this myself. I was getting the message " Outlook Could Not Create the Work File..." using Vista and Office 2010 Beta. It started happening out of nowhere (I had been running Office 2010 for several months - BTW - can't wait to get a fully licensed version). Anyway, I scheduled a chkdisk at the next start up and haven't had the problem again. None of the other solutions (including regedit on Cache/%Username%) worked for me. I did not run scanpst like the guy above.

if it worked after a Chkdsk, it indicates the temp folder was corrupt and preventing outlook from using it for the work file. chkdsk addressed the corruption so outlook could access the location.

9. Don db

Don db

Re: Outlook could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variabl

One of the resolutions which really worked for me is RENAMING THE USER PROFILE "C:\Documents and Settings\UserProfile". This can be done by logging in with an admin account either through safe mode or normally.

You can rename with an extension or adding a few numbers onto end.

Once done, allow the user to login a fresh, this will create the account afresh with new temp files. After that configure the email and others.

NOTE:

Remember to transfer all user data to the new profile i.e Desktop, My Documents, Favorites, Archive among others

Trust me folks, this worked for me very well after struggling with the reg edit and temp files for a couple of days