1. Here's a thread that needs an answer: Change default email for address book

Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be

Discussion in 'Using Outlook' started by psoltisharding, Jan 31, 2010.

1. psoltisharding

psoltisharding

Please someone help... I can't live without my Outlook. I have tried unintalling Outlook and then reinstalled it. No luck. I don't know what else to do. I appreciate any and all help. This is the error message:

Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. Errors have been detected in the file C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst. Quit Outlook and all mail-enabled applications, and then use the Inbox repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the file. For more information about the Inbox repair tool, see Help

Thank you.

Paula

2. Roady [MVP]

Roady [MVP]

Reinstalling Outlook won't help since there is a corruption in your mail database. As the error indicates, run scanpst.exe and point it to the indicated pst-file to check it for errors.

You can find scanpst.exe in the installation folder of Office.

32-bit Windows; C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12

64-bit Windows; C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12

For the locations of other versions of Office see;

http://www.msoutlook.info/question/77

Robert Sparnaaij

3. SarahCox

SarahCox

Hello,

I'm getting the same error message when trying to open Outlook 2007 but when I click 'repair' when running the Inbox Repair Tool I get another error:

" An error has occurred which caused the repair to be stopped. Some modifications may have been made to the scanned file."

I have tried repairing Office 2007 and no other applications are running.

If anyone can offer any help or advice I'd be most grateful.

Sarah

4. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

Hello,

I'm getting the same error message when trying to open Outlook 2007 but when I click 'repair' when running the Inbox Repair Tool I get another error:

" An error has occurred which caused the repair to be stopped. Some modifications may have been made to the scanned file."

I have tried repairing Office 2007 and no other applications are running.

If anyone can offer any help or advice I'd be most grateful.

Sarah

Is outlook closed? How big is the pst file?

5. Kate Lee

Kate Lee

What is the solution is all I get is

Cannot Start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot Open the Outlook Window.

I need help fast - this failure affects my ability to work remotely!!!

6. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

What is the solution is all I get is

Cannot Start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot Open the Outlook Window.

I need help fast - this failure affects my ability to work remotely!!!

This is fixed by closing Outlook. At the Start search field on Vista or Window7 Start menu or in the Start menu, Run command (Windows key + R), type

outlook.exe /resetnavpane

Then press Enter (or OK button) to restart Outlook.

Note: Make sure there is a space between the words

From http://www.slipstick.com/problems/cant_start_outlook.asp

7. Pierre Jordaan

Pierre Jordaan

Same Problem no result :-(

Mine says: " An error has occurred which caused the scan to stop. No changes have been made to the scanned file."

When using the run windows Outlook after, during or before it still gives the same error.

Is there no solution to this?

8. cuyagua

cuyagua

I have the same problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

I have the same problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread has at least 3 different problems... it would probably be better to start your own thread and explain what your problem is. The version of Outlook and if the problem is scanpst failing, the size of your pst file is helpful also.

The quick fix is to find and rename the pst file and let outlook make a new one - this will get outlook working then you can work on fixing the old pst.

10. Vixatplay

Vixatplay

Outlook repair for me, the technologically challenged...

Windows 7

STEP ONE: Find Scanpst.exe

Scanpst.exe is in

Computer

Local Disk

Program Files (x86)

Microsoft office

Office12

Scroll down to find Scanpst.exe

STEP TWO: Use Scanpst.exe

Type in: C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst. (or whatever your error message said as you were trying to open Outlook)

Tick backup box

Click repair to finish

STEP THREE:

Then do Windows Key (key with flag on it) + R (at same time)

Type below in box

outlook.exe /resetnavpane

STEP FOUR:

Open Outlook!!!

11. Vixatplay

Vixatplay

This is great if you know what you're doing - but it took me hours to figure out how to work the scanpst.exe because i didn't know what i was browsing for! So renaming a file (how do you do that?) that you can't identify let alone find, is difficult for people who just expect expensive things to work!

12. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

This is great if you know what you're doing - but it took me hours to figure out how to work the scanpst.exe because i didn't know what i was browsing for! So renaming a file (how do you do that?) that you can't identify let alone find, is difficult for people who just expect expensive things to work!

What file are you trying to rename? If you mean the pst, the error message tells you where it is. The guy who started this thread would type or paste C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\ in the address bar of windows explorer to open the folder where his pst is. Then he'd rename outlook.pst to something like outlook_old.pst then try opening outlook. (http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/filepath.htm lists file paths).

Seriously, if you are having problems, please start a new thread instead of replying to an old one. Explain the problem *you* are experiencing and include the error message too. Oh, and the version of Outlook.

In most cases, you would not need to use both scanpst and the /resetnavpane switch. If Outlook doesn't work after using scanpst, then the problem probably wasn't a corrupt pst.

13. Michelle Straz

Michelle Straz

Thank you Vixatplay! This worked perfectly - I was stuck at what file to look up when in asked but this explained exactly what to do.

I'm not an expert by any means, but this was simple enough to follow.

One question though - now that I've got it working again, can I change the folder names back to Inbox fromRecovered Folders and Lost and Found?

Thank you again - I was really worried about what I was going to do.