1. Here's a thread that needs an answer: Adding 2nd Email Address

disable tooltips in Outlook 2007

Discussion in 'Using Outlook' started by fischli75, Mar 22, 2010.

1. fischli75

fischli75

Hello everyone,

The message view in Outlook 2007 displays a tooltip with message details when I hover with the mouse over a message. I'd like to know how to turn these tooltips off.

Thank you for your help.

fischli75

2. e-z-pad

e-z-pad

What is the reason you want to disable it?

3. fischli75

fischli75

Hello Ezpad,

This is just personal taste, but IMHO the tooltips contain unnecessary information. They also hides part of the next line in the message view.Turning them off would make my day-to-day work with Outlook a bit easier.

Cheers,

fischli75

4. Niyamath Khan

Niyamath Khan

You may follow the steps mentioned below:-

1. On the View menu, point to Toolbars, and then click Customize.

2. On the Options tab, click to clear the Show ScreenTips on Toolbars check box.

3. Click Close.

5. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

Hello everyone,

The message view in Outlook 2007 displays a tooltip with message details when I hover with the mouse over a message. I'd like to know how to turn these tooltips off.

Thank you for your help.

fischli75

The tooltips that come up when you hover over messages can't be turned off. Other (real) tooltips can be disabled.

6. fischli75

fischli75

Thank you for the suggestion, however that does not have an affect on tooltips in the message view. I think this option just disables tooltips in the toolbar.

fischli75

7. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

Thank you for the suggestion, however that does not have an affect on tooltips in the message view. I think this option just disables tooltips in the toolbar.

fischli75

Correct. It's for menus and toolbars only.

8. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

This is just personal taste, but IMHO the tooltips contain unnecessary information. They also hides part of the next line in the message view.Turning them off would make my day-to-day work with Outlook a bit easier.

While you can't turn them off, you can get rid of them if the fields are wide enough to show the full fields - the tooltips come up when the contents of the fields don't fit into the view. You can remove fields that are less important to you and the tooltip will be smaller. If the contents of the fields are smaller than the pane, no tool tip.

See examples:

http://slipstick.me/jing/tooltip1.png

http://slipstick.me/jing/notooltip.png

9. fischli75

fischli75

That is indeed true. The tooltips are not displayed when I remove columns and enlarge the message pane so that every message line fits. However, if only one line does not fit into the pane, the tooltip is shown for every entry in the list.

Well, thank you for your time. I will just keep the tooltips on. It's not that big of a deal.

Good night,

fischli75