1. Here's a thread that needs an answer: Creating a Select Case for a directory of folders

The Connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete

Discussion in 'Using Outlook' started by zlatko.cherep, Jun 11, 2010.

1. zlatko.cherep

zlatko.cherep

Here's my strange experience with my Office 2010 Outlook:

I have three POP3 accounts tied to a single Outlook data file (all of them Gmail accounts). I have added an Exchange account tied to a separate data file during my last visit to our company's headquarters. I can only synchronize my Outlook with company's Exchange server account when I'm connected within the in-house network of our company - I can not synch from anywhere else - company's policy.

Outside our company's HQ I can only access my Exchange account through the web access.

Now the problem is that when I'm outside our company's HQ I can download emails through my other three POP3 accounts, and can send emails only using two of them, but not using the one that has the same first and last name in it as the Exchange account. :)))

This is hillarious. My other two POP3 have " project names" but the one which has my real name can not send mails and gives me the above quoted reason: " " The Connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action."

How can this be? When I'm outside my company's HQ I do not need my Exchange account, but as long as I don't remove this account from the Outlook I can not use the only one of my other POP3 accounts which shares the same personal name with the Exchange account.

In my Office 2003 Outlook this was never a problem. I was keeping my Exchnage account set and would synch it when I would be at the HQ offices ... as I'm almost always away from the HQ I was still being able to keep my Exchange emails in my outlook and manage them locally.

Thanx in advance for any help how to avoid this problem. Z

2. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

I assume by personal name you mean your email display name (user name in account settings), not the account name that displays in the folders, account settings, and send/receive list etc. Something has Outlook confused and i don't think its your name - I'd be in trouble otherwise as i have serveral accounts using the same full name as my exchange accounts.

Which account is set as default in your profile?

Did you try removing the problemic gmail account and recreating it? Try adding a space to the end of your display name?

3. zlatko.cherep

zlatko.cherep

Hi Diane,

You assumed correctly. By personal name I mean my name which appears as my account display name. Not theusername@domain.com.

I should have tried what you propose before I removed my Exchange account. Now I have to wait till I get to be in our company's HQ to do it again, as I can not setup an Exchange account without being able to connect to the Exchange Server through Outlook. But I will definitely try that. It is really strange that the two other POP3 accounts receive and send emails with not problems, and only my " same name" POP3 account has troubles when sending emails ... at that point the Outlook gives me the " ...no connection" message.

As for which of the POP3 accounts is default, it was the same troubled account, but last time before setting up my Exchange account, I've changed it and set as default one of the other POP3 accounts ... but again my personal account was affected. Hence the reason I believe it is the personal name that causes the trouble. I will also try to put one more space between my first and last name. thank you.

Will post the new experience here once I do it.

Regards, ZC

4. detonimax

detonimax

Hi,

Operating System: Windows 7 Office version: office 2010

I have the same problem (Italian version). when I try to configure an exchange server 2003 mailbox account, already treated before with Office 2007, I receive the message " " The Connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action."

I've tried several times to remove and create again several profiles, no chance.

Thanks az lot for your support.

Max