1. Here's a thread that needs an answer: Outlook 2010 Updating Inbox starts again

Outlook data file cannot be accessed - error (0x8004010F)

Discussion in 'Using Outlook' started by ChaEzi, Jun 24, 2010.

1. ChaEzi

ChaEzi

Hello,

I have been using Outlook to read my POP/SMTP mail with no problem when use my external drive so I can use my .pst files on both my laptop and workstation. I recently got a new laptop with loads of space that I plan on using exclusively.

I can still access the .pst file on the external but when I copy that same .pst file to the E: drive of my laptop, I get the following error on SEND/RECEIVE

Task 'xxx' reported error (0x8004010F): 'Outlook data file cannot be accessed'

The file is only 1.6G but it reads just fine on the external.

Please help

Thanks
  2. EricLegault

EricLegault

Are you actually just copying the .pst, or in fact moving it? If you move it, you have to tell Outlook where the new location is! Check the Data Files tab in your Account Settings dialog to make sure the path to the file exists.(P.S. Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it has helped you)

3. ChaEzi

ChaEzi

Eric,

Thanks for your help. While I was waiting for a reply, I poked around at some similar issues. I found one that prompted me to create all new profiles for my account. I did that and it seems to work now.

With my old system (Outlook 2007 and Windows XP), I simply moved (copied) the file to where ever I wanted it (on an internal or external drive), and used 'Account Settings' to point to the new location. It was as simple as that. Now for some reason with Outlook 2010 and Windows 7, something does not like that procedure. Just specifying the new location in Outlook 2010 does not seem to work as it did on my other system. The only way it recognized the new location was for me to create all new accounts/profiles.

Regards