1. Here's a thread that needs an answer: Attachment Save for Exchange

Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the message request

Discussion in 'Using Outlook' started by snowcycle, Feb 27, 2010.

1. snowcycle

snowcycle

I get a similar problem, and Outlook 2007 is my only mail client. Occasionally I am asked to, despite having installed all components from Microsoft Office 2007 on my PC, to insert the DVD and 'install' some 'missing' features (despite having made sure all of the Office components run from my Hard Disk when initially installing Office 2007)

As a result of this install, the installer deletes all references to the Mail Icon in Control Panel. IT also removes all references to the MAPI dlls from the registry and removes the DLLS from the regserver. The last time this happened was when my partner was using Access 2007.

Afterwards, the message " Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the message request. Please run Microsoft Office Outlook and set it as the default mail client." every time you go in to Outlook 2007.

Why, despite having made sure all of the Office components run from my Hard Disk when initially installing Office 2007, does this occur?

Any why does this affect Microsoft Outlook 2007?

In Internet Explorer, Microsoft Outlook is still set to be my email client.

The Mail icon is missing from Control Panel, and all entries to MMCPL, in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel are empty.

Searching for this message in any of the technical support areas does NOT give you a solution.

Running Diagnostics from Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 does NOT fix the problem.

Running Repair / Reinstall from Microspft Office Installer does NOT fix the problem.

Uninstalling, restarting windows, then installing Office 2007 does NOT fix the problem.

Remember - This is a public forum so never post private information such as email or phone numbers!

Ideas:

Programs you are having problems with Error messages Recent changes you made to your computer What you have already tried to fix the problem
  2. Surya Prasad Vemulapalli

Surya Prasad Vemulapalli

Try the steps mentioned below and check if it helps .

1. Check and make sure that following file is available and works by double clicking it:

When you double click on this file it should open the mail setup window.

C:\Program files\Common files\System\Msmapi\1033\mlcfg32.cpl

2. If it works then go to the registry and make sure this entry is present. If not

present, add it.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\MMCPL]

String Value: " mlcfg32.cpl" =" C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\System\MSMAPI\1033\mlcfg32.cpl"

3. Reopening Control Panel should display the Mail icon again.

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 322756 . (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
  3. snowcycle

snowcycle

Thank you for your response. I will try this tonight and will post the response. (sorry for taking time to reply, busy at work :-( )
  4. snowcycle

snowcycle

The file, C:\Program Files\Common Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\MLCFG32.CPL exists

The value is not there in the registry, there are no entries, so I have added the string value as requested.

Double clicking on the Mail icon give the message " You need more memory or system resources. Close some windows and try again." I presume I need to re-register some DLLs?
  5. Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

6. snowcycle

snowcycle

Service Pack 2 (12.0.6425.1000) is installed
  7. Niyamath Khan

Niyamath Khan

You can try following these steps:-

· Click on Start and Run and type "fixmapi" without quotes.

Check in the C:\Windows\System32 folder to see if a “MAPISTUB.DLL” file is present and then register it.

· Click on Start and Run and type "regsvr32 MAPISTUB.DLL" without quotes.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and MAPISTUB.DLL

If the file is missing then copy it from the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder and back into the C:\Windows\System32.
  8. snowcycle

snowcycle

I had a look, and the file exists. I tried to register it, but I got DllRegistryServer entry point was not found.

The file does not exist in C:\Windows \ServicePackFiles\i386

I have run a full virus scan and Spybot, no problems reported.
  9. Guruprasad Ra

Guruprasad Ra

Follow these steps below:

1. Rename the Msmapi folder to Msmapi.old on the following location:

C:\Program files\Common files\System

2. Repair the Office 2007.

Check the following link for help regarding repair of Office 2007:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924611

3. Follow the steps given below to perform FixMapi:

Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories > Run copy and paste the following text in the Open field and press Enter.

Fixmapi.exe
  10. snowcycle

snowcycle

I have fixed it. there are several red herrings here. Briefly:

Do NOT run fixmapi.exe. It doesnt work for Office 2007.

Rename msmapi32.dll in [Drive]:\windows\system32 folder.

Remove the entry for the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\MMCPL] key as Office 2007 uses a different mlcfg32.cpl file . I made sure I was using the correct CPL. make sure the CPL runs. It does open, but if you click on the E-Mail Accounts button, nothing happens.

Re-boot the machine. Then run repair from the DVD supplied with office, i.e. do not go in to Add/Remove programs. when this has finished re-boot the PC. Then you will find

I will put the full solution up tonight
  11. snowcycle

snowcycle

Fix Mail Icon Missing from Control Panel

I'm using Outlook 2007, so my mlcfg32.cpl is located in Drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\MLCFG32.CPL

Do NOT run fixmapi.exe, ie does NOT work for Office 2007

and the steps are:

1.Make sure that the following Control Panel file exists and that it works as expected:

Drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\MLCFG32.CPL

2.Click Start , click Run , type regedit, and then click OK .

3.Locate the following registry subkey (if not exist, create it):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\Cpls

4.Make sure that the mlcfg32.cpl registry entry exists. Additionally, make sure that its value is set as follows:

Drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\MLCFG32.CPL

If the mlcfg32.cpl registry entry does not exist, you must create it. To do this, follow these steps:

a. Right-click the Cpls registry subkey, point to New , and then click String Value .

b. type mlcfg32.cpl as the name of the registry entry.

c. Double-click the mlcfg32.cpl registry entry, type Drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\MLCFG32.CPL in the Value Data box, and then click OK .

5.Exit Registry Editor, and then open Control Panel. The Mail icon is displayed as expected. Double click to make sure you can open it. The e-Mail Accounts button will not work at this stage if you click it.

6. Rename msmapi32.dll in [Drive]:\windows\system32 folder.

7. Remove the entry for the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\MMCPL] key as Office 2007 uses a different mlcfg32.cpl file . I made doubly sure I was using the correct CPL. Make sure the CPL still runs. It does open, but if you click on the E-Mail Accounts button, nothing happens.

8. As a further option, you could

regsvr32 inetcomm.dll

9. Re-boot the machine. Then run repair from the DVD supplied with office, i.e. do not go in to Add/Remove programs, insert the DVD. When this has finished re-boot the PC.

Then you will find email Accounts have been restored without destroying the pst files.
  12. Cloverdale

Cloverdale

I am having the exact same problem with Outlook 2010 (64 bit) - any clues how to fix this? In reading all of the above it seems to be focused on Outlook 2007 (32 bit) so I am reluctant to try any of the above. I am able to send email from Word and Excel, but every time I try from Acrobat 9 I run into this error message. I also get this message when my computer boots.
  13. AKLeeAnn

AKLeeAnn

I too am having the exact same problem with Outlook 2010 (64 bit) in Windows 7 - any clues how to fix this? I too am reluctant to try any of the above. I am able to send email from Word and Excel, but every time I try from Acrobat 9 I run into this error message. Unlike Cloverdale, I am not getting this message when my computer boots. Thank you! I look forward to the answer. I tried what was in KN 813745, but that didn't fix it. I note that was written in 2006. Need some current advise about Outlook 2010 x64. Thanks!
  14. DChapman22

DChapman22

Same problem here. Outlook 2010 (64 bit) and Windows 7. Error comes up all the time. I'm wondering if it's to do with MobileMe and the frequent syncing it does. Help?