1. Here's a thread that needs an answer: Filtering based on mailing list field

Outlook 2010 moves inbox emails to delete folder by itself

Discussion in 'Using Outlook' started by J. Pines, Feb 28, 2010.

1. J. Pines

J. Pines

I have been downloaded Office 2010 on my Dell computer running Windows 7 ultimate about two weeks ago. Several times during this period I have started Outlook 2010 to find that nearly every message in my inbox moves to the delete folder while I am watching. I assume there is a button that is pressed that I need to un-press, but I cannot find it. Can you help. I would prefer to delete messages on my own.

2. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

There is no button that does this. Do you have any rules setup to move messages to the deleted folder?

3. J. Pines

J. Pines

There is one rule listed: " Clear categories on mail (recommended)." I did not make this rule. If this is related to the problem above I will be happy to delete it.

Thanks for your help.

4. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

There is one rule listed: " Clear categories on mail (recommended)." I did not make this rule. If this is related to the problem above I will be happy to delete it.

Thanks for your help.

Nope. It has nothing to do with the problem. At least it shouldn't - it just removes categories so people can't spam you with color categories.

What type of email account do you have?

What does norton do with suspected spam? Could it be moving the messages to the deleted folder?

5. J. Pines

J. Pines

My ISP is Verizon it is a MAPI account. Norton does nothing with email except supposedly block spam. Verizon does this as well, but whichever one is operating the emails appear to go directly to the " junk mail" folder without first going to the inbox. Yesterday I had a list of emails in my inbox. Today when I clicked on the inbox whatever was there seemed to disappear as I watched, ending up in the delete folder where it remains, and from where I can move it back.

Jeff Pines

6. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

Is this an MSN account and you use the hotmail connector to get your mail? If you log in online, are the messages in the inbox or deleted folder? Do you use more than one computer to check the account?

It sounds like the messages are being moved to the deleted folder online and when outlook syncs, it moves them to the deleted folder too. This is the correct behavior since outlook just has a copy of your mailbox.

7. J. Pines

J. Pines

You are right--my email account is through msn, and I do sign on to it via the hotmail icon on the msn.com website. However, when I do, everything is in my inbox there, so I assume that is not the site of the problem. If I delete something in the hotmail inbox it goes to the deleted box. If I then go back into outlook, it is still in the inbox. I closed out outlook, then opened it, and the message was still in the inbox.

8. J. Pines

J. Pines

I tried synching outlook and the message described above moved to the delete box.

9. Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

I tried synching outlook and the message described above moved to the delete box.

Yes, that would be the expected behavior.