1. Here's a thread that needs an answer: Can't Send to specific emails

Re: Error 4202 when accessing hotmail account in Outlook 2010

Discussion in 'Using Outlook' started by rboris, May 7, 2010.

1. rboris

rboris

i have exactly the same problem on a win 7 64 and a win 7 32 with Office 2010 RTM (both 64 and 32).

Alessio Roic, Program Manager, Microsoft Outlook has replied on another MSoft forum:

http://blogs.msdn.com/outlook/archive/2010/05/04/new-outlook-hotmail-connector-released-today.aspx?CommentPosted=true#commentmessage

But I am getting nowhere.

I am now suspecting that Outlook Connector 14 is not syncing properly with hotmail/msn (which I use).

Can anyone get Mr. Roic to really pay attention to this one?

rboris

2. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

He's paying attention, he just may not have the answer yet.

Are any of you using non-English versions of Outlook? If so, you need to use the localized version of the Connector.

3. rboris

rboris

i am using all American English versions.rboris

4. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

I forwarded them the thread this morning and they asked if you would mind sharing your affected email account name with them so they can look at the account on the backend. You can send it to me at diane at slipstick.com and I'll pass it along.

5. Ronald Bijlhouwer

Ronald Bijlhouwer

I am using a custom domain windows live account and have the same problem.

6. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

Assuming you have Outlook 2010....

Based on repros made possible by the guys who started this thread - check the addresses in the address book/contacts - the issue may be related to email addresses that have an underscore in the domain name – the server refuses them.

Second cause: there are malformed addresses in the address book. (ie, address is not valid because its missing .com)

7. Bits Bytes and More

Bits Bytes and More

Assuming you have Outlook 2010....

Based on repros made possible by the guys who started this thread - check the addresses in the address book/contacts - the issue may be related to email addresses that have an underscore in the domain name – the server refuses them.

Second cause: there are malformed addresses in the address book. (ie, address is not valid because its missing .com)

Diane... I have exactly the same problem as those above. My address book and calendar are empty. I just cleaned them out completely and restarted Outlook and the problem persists.

8. prosto Maria

prosto Maria

Hello All,

I ve got similar problem being not able to receive emails to Outlook 2007 since 8/05/2010. Was still able to send from Outlook, and hotmail receives/sends emails nicely.

Followed your advices, Hv tried to unistall/install Connector version 14, uninstall / install Outlook again and delete/ set my account there, but no luck still.

I ended up now with set email account, that shows just only half(!) emails from hotmail and all other folders despite Inbox (that were syncronized earlier) are empty.

What a disaster!

I also tried to install back version 12 of Connector, but did not help.

Could you pls kindly help and advice how to fix it!

ps. i hv Windows 7 and switched off antivirus, when tried to fix the problem myself. But your help is needed now!

Many thanks!

Maria

9. rboris

rboris

with the diligent help of microsoft my issue has been resolved.

connector 14 now syncs outlook with msn and hotmail junk and safe senders lists.

if there is an illegal address in either of those lists in msn/hotmail and /or outlook you'll get that error.

go through these lists and delete suspicious addresses (mine had a .ru extension, big surprise).

trial and error. but doing this will work (delete; close outlook; close msn/hotmail then open msn/hotmail then outlook). you'll have to do this for each deletion.

hope this helps.

rboris

10. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

go through these lists and delete suspicious addresses (mine had a .ru extension, big surprise).

RU is an illegal address? underscore in the address is another thing that doesn't work in the addresses.

11. PJQ

PJQ

I'm not convinced that this is correct. After tediously removing dozens of what looked like suspicious addresses, I eventually removed all addresss from the three lists and the error disappeared. Then I added one junk mail addressTrent.Joann@yahoo.net. The error returned. Since the domain name is not malfored, the error looks more like a probelm synchronizing any address.

Environment: Office 2010 Professional (64-bit), Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit).

12. PeterPla

PeterPla

In my case - Office 2010 Pro (32-bit), Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) - I was having this problem, and although I deleted all the safe/blocked entries from my primary Hotmail account, one of several Hotmail accounts I have, the problem did not go away until I deleted all the safe/blocked entries from ALL of my Hotmail accounts. Outlook 2010 apparently reports an error for ALL Hotmail accounts, if ANY linked Hotmail account has a bad safe/blocked entry. I know for sure that Outlook 2010 reported an error for my primary Hotmail account, even after I'd deleted all safe/blocked entries for that account, and Outlook continued reporting that error on that primary Hotmail account, until I deleted all safe/blocked entries from OTHER Hotmail accounts. Hope that helps.

13. ram4u

ram4u

I have the same problem

I created a new Hotmail account - it has nothing.. no emails, no addresses... I deleted safe senders, blocked senders, safe recepients.

Un-install and re-install Hotmail connector several times ( new version)

Hotmail folders are down (inbox, outbox etc) are downloaded in Outlook 2010. I can send and receive messages,

I still get error 0x800004005 (error 4202)

What is problem?

Thanks

14. SAinCA

SAinCA

Hello Diane,

Per the post you made about sending to you slipstick.com address, my Hotmail Account had absolutely ZERO problems with the Outlook 2007 connector I used up to 15:00 hrs today, 7/14/2010.

I am a PAID subscriber.

I'm stunned that this is not being utterly fixed but that MS expects us to delete HUNDREDS of blocked sender entries with no means of restoring the " valid" ones after taking the proverbial sledgehammer to the walnut.

If 2007 worked today - FIX 2010 so it WORKS, please! No excuses, if you will. MS broke it, so please, MS, fix it!

Thanks in advance...

Stephen

15. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

Hello Diane,

Per the post you made about sending to you slipstick.com address, my Hotmail Account had absolutely ZERO problems with the Outlook 2007 connector I used up to 15:00 hrs today, 7/14/2010.

I am a PAID subscriber.

I'm stunned that this is not being utterly fixed but that MS expects us to delete HUNDREDS of blocked sender entries with no means of restoring the " valid" ones after taking the proverbial sledgehammer to the walnut.

If 2007 worked today - FIX 2010 so it WORKS, please! No excuses, if you will. MS broke it, so please, MS, fix it!

Thanks in advance...

Stephen

They are working on a fix - no idea on the ETA, but until its fixed, the workaround is to delete the blocked sender entries.

FWIW, blocking senders is a poor way to control spam - spammers change addresses way too often for it to be useful.

16. SAinCA

SAinCA

Well, thanks for the " working on it" info, but having been a Hotmail user for about 13 years I have 300 blocked senders, many of whom are specifically blocked not just for SPAM filtering. " Deletion is not an option" to borrow the " Failure..." adage.

As for the SPAM filtering itself, over the last month Hotmail has gone from allowing just a few a day to tens and more per day from " Josh@" and his nothing better to do in life fellow morons. Is the SPAM filter getting some much needed attention, too, and more to the point with the Hotmail connector, will the Outlook UI get the option to block by DOMAIN and have that reflect in the Hotmail web UI under the Options==>Blocked Senders page? The lack of this in the 2007 UI is something of a glaring oversight...

17. enttaeuscht

enttaeuscht

I just upgraded from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2010 today and have the same problem!

20:11:02 There is an error synchronizing your mail account. Please verify your account is configured correctly by first accessing your mail on the web.

20:11:02 Error: 4202.

I've done all steps except deleting my blocked senders list as it has been quite effective as it is set up. Please post a solution as soon as MS defines the problem

Thanks

18. shamrock99

shamrock99

Diane, Where should I send you my account name? I have the same problem, but I can't delete 3 adresse from the " Allowed adresses" from my account on the web, they keep coming back. And they don't look normal adresses...

tks!

Shamrock99

19. MdeB

MdeB

I am experiencing this probleem as well, on Windows 7 + Office Outlook 2010 64-bit + Connector version 14.0.4760. Mail and everything seems to synchronize as it should, but the error below keeps coming back at every send/receive:

17:07:09 There is an error synchronizing your mail account. Please verify your account is configured correctly by first accessing your mail on the web.

17:07:09 Error: 4202

I removed all entries in the Safe Senders list, as suggested by the proposed answer, both in Outlook 2010 and in the web client at mail.live.com, but that didn't change anything.

Any suggesties, anyone?

MdeB

20. Bill_G

Bill_G

Did you read the thread?

The solutionfor me was to log in to mail.live.com and using the option to look at Safe Senders, the only list I had. and delete all of them. No I have removed both lists and the synch is successful.

Can't etll you how mush time this consumed to find a solution! The error message was little help!

Most solution (including this thread) propose solutions to do with outlook, when the problem is mail.live.com.

When they find a bad one, why not report it in the Outlook sync report, or just delete it!

- Bill MS Expression 4, MS Office 2010 Professional