1. Here's a thread that needs an answer: DataNumen Outlook Drive Recovery

The WinRM client received an HTTP server error status (500)

Discussion in 'Exchange Server Questions' started by Pirry, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Pirry

Pirry

Hi All,

I have installed the Exchange 2010 Management Tools and a few roles on our DC (Windows Server 2008 R2) but i cannot even connect to it to configure anything.

If i use the management tools GUI i get an error message saying:

" Connecting to remote server failied with the following error message: The WinRM client received an HTTP server error status (500), but the remove service did not include any other informaition about the cause of the failure. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic. It was running the command 'Discover-ExchangeServer -UseWIA $true -SuppressError $true'."

Using the Exchange Management Shell is get a similar error:

" Connecting to remote server failied with the following error message: The WinRM client received an HTTP server error status (500), but the remove service did not include any other informaition about the cause of the failure. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.

+ CategoryInfo : OpenError: (System.Manageme....RemoteRunspace:RemoteRunspace) [], PSRemotingTransportException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId: PSSessionOpenFailed"

This comes up 3 times and then said it failed to connect and to enter the Server FQDN i want to connect to.

I have seen other posts where they have said to disable anonymous access for PowerShell in IIS which i have done and to also run the set-user yourusername -remotepowershellenabled:$true which i cannot run because i cannot even connect into it via PowerShell.

Tried to see if there was a way to reinstall the management tools because i have a feeling they didnt install properly but cant find a way to do that.

Tried to uninstall everything but i cannot because it says there are already mailboxes created (presume some default ones) but i cannot connect to remove them to uninstall.

I seem to have reached a wall and cannot see how to proceed.

Please help. Thanks.
  2. Nair.SS

Nair.SS

Hi Pirry,

Check out in Server Manager if " WinRM IIS Extensions" are installed. If not install it. If its already there :

1. Uninstall it and Install it again.

2. Run " WinRM Quickconfig" .
  3. Pirry

Pirry

Hi Nair.SS

Thanks for your reply. I did see another post to install that which i had done already. I ran the WinRM Quickconfig and it did make some changes so now;

WinRM already is set up to receive requests on this machine.

WinRM already is set up for remote management on this machine.

I rebooted and tried again but still nothing :(

Same error messages.
  4. shlotz

shlotz

Have you tried loading EMS via Admin Tools > Windows Powershell Modules? Amazingly, that will probably work fine for you.

Assuming that loads, or that you can run EMS on another machine:

Check Powershell directory in IIS on the problem server. Make sure SSL is not required. Allow only Anonymous access - no basic/IWA auth etc. If you can get into Windows Powershell Modules, run the set-user command suggested above from there. Remove-powershellvirtualdirectory, and then New-powershellvirtualdirectory (either remotely or using Windows Powershell Modules. Re-check SSL/authentication once this is done. -Max
  5. Nair.SS

Nair.SS

The remote server actually uses port 80 to get connected. Probably you can check if any other software's installed on this server which uses that.
  6. Pirry

Pirry

Have you tried loading EMS via Admin Tools > Windows Powershell Modules? Amazingly, that will probably work fine for you.

Assuming that loads, or that you can run EMS on another machine:

Check Powershell directory in IIS on the problem server. Make sure SSL is not required. Allow only Anonymous access - no basic/IWA auth etc. If you can get into Windows Powershell Modules, run the set-user command suggested above from there. Remove-powershellvirtualdirectory, and then New-powershellvirtualdirectory (either remotely or using Windows Powershell Modules. Re-check SSL/authentication once this is done. -Max

Hi Max,

Tried loading EMS via Admin Tools > Windows Powershell Modules but didnt work. Got the following error:

Import-Module : There were errors in loading the format data file:

Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.Setup, C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin\Exchange.format.ps1x

ml : File skipped because it was already present from " Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.E2010" .

At line:24 char:34

+ Import-Module <<<< $_.Name -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: :)) [Import-Module], RuntimeException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : FormatXmlUpateException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand

I think it is a problem with the PowerShell IIS VirtualDirectory because when i browse any other virtual directory i get a response of some sort but when i browse the PowerShell virtual directory i get the same 500 error message.

This error (HTTP 500 Internal Server Error) means that the website you are visiting had a server problem which prevented the webpage from displaying.

Now i think i have made things worse. I was looking at the remove and new point you made an accidently deleted the whole PowerShell virtual directory in IIS using the IIS GUI. I didnt use the Remove-powershellvirtualdirectory command. Now i dont know how to get it back :(

When i try to run New-powershellvirtualdirectory and specify to call it PowerShell it says it is already

New-PowerShellVirtualDirectory : The virtual directory 'PowerShell' already exists under 'DC01.mainserver/Default Web S

ite'.

Parameter name: VirtualDirectoryName

At line:1 char:31

+ New-PowerShellVirtualDirectory <<<<

+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (DC01\PowerShell (Default Web Site):ADObjectId) [New-PowerShellVirtualD

irectory], ArgumentException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : 7833EE63,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.NewPowerShellVirtualDire

ctory

I have tried to use the remove command but it doesnt find it no matter what i put in the identify parameter. It should be " Default Web Site" right?

Anyways, i have created a new PowerShell virtual directory called ExchPowerShell (still would like to find a way have it called PowerShell) and removed SSL and enabled only Anonymous access. Now get a different error message:

VERBOSE: Connecting to DC01.mainserver

[dc01.mainserver] Connecting to remote server failed with the following error message : The WinRM client sent a request

to an HTTP server and got a response saying the requested HTTP URL was not available. This is usually returned by a HT

TP server that does not support the WS-Management protocol. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting

Help topic.

+ CategoryInfo : OpenError: (System.Manageme....RemoteRunspace:RemoteRunspace) [], PSRemotingTransportExc

eption

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PSSessionOpenFailed

Did a search and i think this is because i now had a different PowerShell virtual directory so if i try to connect and specify the new virtual directory name i get the same error i was getting.

Failed to connect to any Exchange Server in the current site.

Please enter the Server FQDN where you want to connect: DC01.mainserver/ExchPowerShell

VERBOSE: Connecting to DC01.mainserver/ExchPowerShell

[dc01.mainserver] Connecting to remote server failed with the following error message : The WinRM client received an HT

TP server error status (500), but the remote service did not include any other information about the cause of the failu

re. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.

+ CategoryInfo : OpenError: (System.Manageme....RemoteRunspace:RemoteRunspace) [], PSRemotingTransportExc

eption

Thank for all you help so far.
  7. Pirry

Pirry

All i have on the server is DNS, DHCP, AD, IIS and AV software. I tried to disable the AV and still nothing.
  8. Tamer Sherif Mahmoud

Tamer Sherif Mahmoud

try to run Winrm quickconfigTamer Sherif Mahmoud
  9. Pirry

Pirry

Thanks for the suggestion Tamer but if you see above Nair.SS had already adviced to try that which i did but still nothing.
  10. ON-IT Consulting

ON-IT Consulting

My post from this thread with the same issue

http://social.technet.microsoft.com.../thread/8ee2bc8a-4400-4d1c-9e0d-0986e9aad007/

So I worked with MS' escalation team today on this and his mentors and they ran through a 1.5GB time trace and my install logs. There weren't any errors that stood out other than a cert issue I was aware of. Since it was the end of their day I took things into my own hands.

Ended up re-running the upgrade. Please not that I did get a debug error as soon as it tried to load the pre-reqs screen related to perms accessing an XML. I stopped there and did some research. Went back and got to the same point and hit continue instead of stop,etc. Ran through the 'upgrade' again and as soon as it was complete I now had access to me EMS and EMC

Very strange through indeed
  11. Laeeq Qazi

Laeeq Qazi

Hi,

I was also having this error when I was trying to run EMS but get it working by just a reboot of Ex2010 server :) .

Regards,

Laeeq Qazi|Snr Software Engineer(Exchange + Sharepoint + BES + DynamicsCRM) www.HostingController.com
  12. Pirry

Pirry

Hi All,

I ended up having to denote the server back to a member server then recover it from a very old backup and go through the whole process of promoting it to a DC again. Once i did all that and got it back to how it was prior to the exchange install i ran setup with the recoverserver switch (setup /m:RecoverServer) as all the AD changes where still in place and setup would not run normally.

Once the recover finished i had all the roles and management tools installed again and i was able to connect.
  13. Jason Fenech

Jason Fenech

I had the same problem in my test environment. After upgrading from Win 2008 Server Standard R2 to Enterprise, the Exchange console starting throwing the " The WinRM client received an HTTP server error status (500)" error.

My test env consists of a Windows Std R2 DC and 2x Windows Ent R2 2008 with Exch 2010 Enterprise.

This is what fixed it;

Server Manager -> Features -> Selected WinRM IIS Extension (found this ticked off i.e not installed)

In my case there was no need to iisreset or run the WinRM Quickconfig command.

I ran this successfully on the two Exchange 2010 Enterprise servers I'm using.

Hope this helps.
  14. Nasir Mir

Nasir Mir

After breaking my head for whole day with this error and trying all possible steps given from begining of this port. Finally i got this RESOLVED :)

Just Reinstall ( remove and install again) WinRM IIS Extension in Server Manager . Exchange managment console is working fine now.
  15. Steve Nuesch

Steve Nuesch

THANK YOU !THANK YOU !THANK YOU !THANK YOU !THANK YOU !THANK YOU !THANK YOU !THANK YOU !THANK YOU !THANK YOU !THANK YOU !THANK YOU !THANK YOU !THANK YOU !THANK YOU !THANK YOU !THANK YOU !THANK YOU !THANK YOU !

I just upgrade last night to enterpise and created a DAG then upgraded a second server to enterprise and lost all management.

Connecting to remote server failed with the following error message : The WinRM client received an HTTP server error status (500), but the remote service did not include any other information about the cause of the failure. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic. + CategoryInfo : OpenError: (System.Manageme....RemoteRunspace:RemoteRunspace) [], PSRemotingTransportException

My WinRM IIS Extension in Server Manager was not installed some how. but I installed and I'm back in business.
  16. ZhelR

ZhelR

Hi,

I have very similar issue. EMS comes up with " HTTP server error status (500)" error message along with the corresponding error message in the Application log:

Log Name: System

Source: Microsoft-Windows-WinRM

Date: 11/28/2009 2:26:07 PM

Event ID: 10113

Task Category: None

Level: Warning

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: ExchangeComputerName

Description:

Request processing failed because the WinRM service cannot load data or event source: DLL=" %ExchangeInstallPath%Bin\Microsoft.Exchange.AuthorizationPlugin.dll"

User Action

Please check if " %ExchangeInstallPath%Bin\Microsoft.Exchange.AuthorizationPlugin.dll" exists.

Additional Data

Loading %ExchangeInstallPath%Bin\Microsoft.Exchange.AuthorizationPlugin.dll failed with error=" 126" (%%126).

I have checked and can confirm the dll mentioned above exists. Any attempts to get it manually registered have failed.

In addition I have tried EVERY single suggestion from this and similar posts. Still no luck.

Has anybody seen this before? Any ideas?

Thanks.
  17. SuperTech MCSE

SuperTech MCSE

Hi,

I have very similar issue. EMS comes up with " HTTP server error status (500)" error message along with the corresponding error message in the Application log:

Description:

Request processing failed because the WinRM service cannot load data or event source: DLL=" %ExchangeInstallPath%Bin\Microsoft.Exchange.AuthorizationPlugin.dll"

User Action

Please check if " %ExchangeInstallPath%Bin\Microsoft.Exchange.AuthorizationPlugin.dll" exists.

Additional Data

Loading %ExchangeInstallPath%Bin\Microsoft.Exchange.AuthorizationPlugin.dll failed with error=" 126" (%%126).

I have checked and can confirm the dll mentioned above exists. Any attempts to get it manually registered have failed.

In addition I have tried EVERY single suggestion from this and similar posts. Still no luck.

Thanks.

Wow! I'm in the exact same situation as posted above. I have installed Exchange 2010 RTM on Windows 2008R2. This server is a member server in the domain. Exchange 2010 installed fine, but I cannot connect via EMC or EMS. I've tried every possible solution out there, but cannot get passed the Microsoft.Exchange.AuthorizationPlugin.dll failed error. I've been fighting with this for weeks. There must be a simple solution. All of the Exchange services are running. All admin users have proper permissions, Exchange Roles, Organization Management group, etc. Someone must have a solution for this... PLEASE HELP!
  18. ZhelR

ZhelR

Hi,

Description:

User Action

Additional Data

Thanks.

Wow! I'm in the exact same situation as posted above. I have installed Exchange 2010 RTM on Windows 2008R2. This server is a member server in the domain. Exchange 2010 installed fine, but I cannot connect via EMC or EMS. I've tried every possible solution out there, but cannot get passed the Microsoft.Exchange.AuthorizationPlugin.dll failed error. I've been fighting with this for weeks. There must be a simple solution. All of the Exchange services are running. All admin users have proper permissions, Exchange Roles, Organization Management group, etc. Someone must have a solution for this... PLEASE HELP!

Good news! I have found a solution!

Check if there is ExchangeInstallPath environment variable defined in your system. For some reason this variable has not been created during Exchange installation process. I have compared with all other Exchange servers and have found this variable exists everywhere except affected machine.

So I went to Advanced System Settings-> Environment variables and under the System Variables section add ExchangeInstallPath as Variable Name and C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ as Variable Value (please do not forget the trailing slash - that is important). Reboot.

And voil&agrave;!!! Now I have EMS and EMC working perfectly.

You can check if environment variable has been set up correctly by executing SET command from command prompt.

Regards.
  19. SuperTech MCSE

SuperTech MCSE

Hi,

Description:

User Action

Additional Data

Thanks.

Good news! I have found a solution!

Check if there is ExchangeInstallPath environment variable defined in your system. For some reason this variable has not been created during Exchange installation process. I have compared with all other Exchange servers and have found this variable exists everywhere except affected machine.

So I went to Advanced System Settings-> Environment variables and under the System Variables section add ExchangeInstallPath as Variable Name and C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ as Variable Value (please do not forget the trailing slash - that is important). Reboot.

And voil&agrave;!!! Now I have EMS and EMC working perfectly.

You can check if environment variable has been set up correctly by executing SET command from command prompt.

Regards.

I was doing the same thing trying to compare the problem 2010 server with a working one. Certainly didn't think to look at environment variables! Thank you so much for finding the solution for this and posting it! Works like a charm now. I like 2010 but it sure seems aweful fragile.
  20. Clement Rosario

Clement Rosario

Hi

I have solved this by,

1. Disable anonymous authentication for powershell virtual directory on IIS 7.0

2. Install winrm iis extenstion in ServerManager

Clement Rosario