MsExchange Common Error

Discussion in 'Exchange Server Questions' started by svfern, Mar 3, 2010.

1. svfern

svfern

Hi,

we installed a Exchange 2010 Server with the Mailbox Role.

Now every time we start the server we got 21 error messages from the MSExchange Common source.

The ID is 106 and the message is (sorry, its german ;-)):

Fehler beim Aktualisieren eines Leistungsindikators. Der Indikatorname lautet 'RPC Requests', der Kategoriename ist 'MSExchange RpcClientAccess'. Optionaler Code: 3. Ausnahme: The exception thrown is : System.InvalidOperationException: Der angeforderte Leistungsindikator muss als ReadOnly initialisiert werden, da er nicht benutzerdefiniert ist.

bei System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter.Initialize()

bei System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter.set_RawValue(Int64 value)

bei Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics.ExPerformanceCounter.set_RawValue(Int64 value)

Last worker process info : System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Der Zugriff auf den Registrierungsschlüssel " HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\v14\Transport" wurde verweigert.

bei Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Win32Error(Int32 errorCode, String str)

bei Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.CreateSubKey(String subkey, RegistryKeyPermissionCheck permissionCheck, RegistrySecurity registrySecurity)

bei Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics.ExPerformanceCounter.GetLastWorkerProcessInfo()

Processes running while Performance counter failed to update:

800 svchost

944 svchost

1152 MSExchangeADTopologyService

1632 MSExchangeMailSubmission

844 svchost

1068 svchost

1404 VMwareService

1844 Microsoft.Exchange.Search.ExSearch

836 spoolsv

1752 Microsoft.Exchange.RpcClientAccess.Service

1484 MSExchangeMailboxAssistants

324 csrss

412 winlogon

588 svchost

224 smss

756 svchost

488 lsm

664 svchost

1108 inetinfo

748 LogonUI

480 lsass

1456 svchost

1276 SMSvcHost

384 wininit

472 services

1696 msexchangerepl

1360 svchost

376 csrss

284 svchost

904 svchost

1904 Microsoft.Exchange.ServiceHost

1220 msftesql

4 System

0 Idle

Performance Counters Layout infomration: FileMappingNotFoundException for category MSExchange RpcClientAccess : Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics.FileMappingNotFoundException: Cound not open File mapping for name : Global\netfxcustomperfcounters.1.0msexchange rpcclientaccess

bei Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics.FileMapping.OpenFileMapping(String name, Boolean writable)

bei Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics.FileMapping..ctor(String name, Boolean writable)

bei Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterMemoryMappedFile.Initialize(String fileMappingName, Boolean writable)

bei Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics.ExPerformanceCounter.GetAllInstancesLayout(String categoryName)

in every of these messages the indicator name changes.

any idea ?

sven

2. James-Luo

James-Luo

3. J-H

J-H

Hi

I have the same error in two environments.

Neither rebuilding the registry values of the performance counters using lodctr /R, nor unloading and reloading the corresponding counters helped.

unlodctr MSExchangeIS

cd \Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin\Perf\AMD64

lodctr .\mdbperf.ini

I did not find any hints about this error with ExBPA.

Do you have an additional tip how to solve the issue?

Regards

4. svfern

svfern

hi,

a rebuild with lodctr did not help.

the errors appear every time the MSExchangeRPC starts and i do not see a relevant event before the errors. the server put the errors in the same second out the MSExchangeRPC starts.

ExBPA only says that i should increase my logsize ;-).

sven

5. Brian Desmond -MVP-

Brian Desmond -MVP-

Grant Network Service Full Control of that registry key and you should be good.Active Directory, 4th Edition - www.briandesmond.com/ad4/

6. svfern

svfern

hi,

i have done that. i've created a key " Transport" and gave the Network Service Full Controll of that key. After a restart the server created the keys " LogSearch" and unter that the key " Watermark" . the part with the registry error disappears from the error messages but the other parts are still there and the errors are still there too.

sven

7. J-H

J-H

Thanks Brian.

I created the key 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\v14\Transport' and assigned the network service full control. This removed a few of the MSExchange Common event id 106 error messages. However, there are still several error messages after every boot. For example:

Performance counter updating error. Counter name is Client: Latency > 10 sec RPCs, category name is MSExchange RpcClientAccess. Optional code: 3. Exception: The exception thrown is : System.InvalidOperationException: The requested Performance Counter is not a custom counter, it has to be initialized as ReadOnly.

at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter.Initialize()

at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter.set_RawValue(Int64 value)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics.ExPerformanceCounter.set_RawValue(Int64 value)

Last worker process info : Last worker process info not available!

Processes running while Performance counter failed to update:

616 svchost

…

…

0 Idle

Performance Counters Layout infomration: FileMappingNotFoundException for category MSExchange RpcClientAccess : Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics.FileMappingNotFoundException: Cound not open File mapping for name : Global\netfxcustomperfcounters.1.0msexchange rpcclientaccess

at Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics.FileMapping.OpenFileMapping(String name, Boolean writable)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics.FileMapping..ctor(String name, Boolean writable)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterMemoryMappedFile.Initialize(String fileMappingName, Boolean writable)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics.ExPerformanceCounter.GetAllInstancesLayout(String categoryName)

I have this issue with the RTM, update rollup 1 and update rollup 2 builds of Exchange 2010.

It looks like I have the same issue as sven and I assume others have this error, too.

8. Svilen Nikolov

Svilen Nikolov

Same here,

the above error messages are observed on two pre-production mailbox servers in a DAG, update rollup 2 + all windows updates and Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange.

it's only a " common" error but i don't feel like putting servers with " dirty" event logs into production

might have to give PSS a call!

9. svfern

svfern

We now opened a call by our support vendor. If there is a solution I will post it.

10. MGLDK

MGLDK

Hi,

Did you ever find a solution? I have the exact same errors on two 2010 MBX-servers in a DAG.

Thanks in advance!

/Michael

11. luckman212

luckman212

Hello, greetings.

We have an Exchange 2010 server that is also kicking out gobs of these exact errors every 5 minutes (hundreds per hour!) Clogging up the Event Logs and generally really ugly. I believe this problem started when I installed the newly-released Rollup 3, follwing the instructions which said to disable ForeFront 2010 prior to install and then re-enable it afterwards. Since then I'm receiving these errors about Performance Counters.

How can I just re-build or re-install the Performance Counters without removing Exchange completely? This is our only server, there is no redundancy beyond the basic daily VSS backup so I am a bit nervous to make drastic changes.

Please, can someone explain clearly how to solve this issue?

12. Mauro Lasca

Mauro Lasca

13. David Rukavina

David Rukavina

I've found a workaround - just add the performance counters for the RPC Client Access Service:

1. Start EMS

2. add-pssnapin Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.Setup

3. new-perfcounters –definitionfilename " C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Setup\Perf\RpcClientAccessPerformanceCounters.xml"

Ref: blog about adding missing perf counters in Exchange 2010:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mikelag/archive/2010/09/10/how-to-unload-reload-performance-counters-on-exchange-2010.aspx

David