1. Here's a thread that needs an answer: DataNumen Exchange Recovery

notifications couldn't be retrieved

Discussion in 'Exchange Server Questions' started by andboo, Mar 18, 2010.

1. andboo

andboo

I'm having an issue with Exchange 2010 and OWA. My users are not recieving email or event notifications. They instead recieve an error at the top of the screen that says " notifications couldn't be retrieved" . I need to remedy this so my OWA users recieve notifications.
  2. Fazal Muhammad Khan_

Fazal Muhammad Khan_

Thank you for your Post here.

According to what i have understood

You have installed exchange 2010 and when your users access OWA they are not able to receive email

Could you please elaborate on your exchange envoirment and can you email me the screen shot of the error on

fazal2@hotmail.com

kindly Put the subject of the email as

notifications couldn't be retrieved

Reagrds

Fazal M khan
  3. andboo

andboo

They are able to recieve and send email, they are just not getting an audio or popup notification when new mail arrives. The error message this is showing is " notifications couldn't be retrieved. It displays at the top of the OWA window.
  4. Fazal Muhammad Khan_

Fazal Muhammad Khan_

Thank You for your Reply.

Can you please Send me a Screen shot at fazal2@hotmail.com?

take tehe screen shot when the Error is displayed.

Regards

Fazal M khan
  5. andboo

andboo

I emailed you a screenshot. Was that of any help to identify my issue?
  6. andboo

andboo

Just an update. It appears calendar notifications are working, but new email notifications are not. Any ideas?
  7. Fazal Muhammad Khan_

Fazal Muhammad Khan_

Thank you for your email

I havent got the Email as yet

Could you Please Re Send it at fazal2@hotmail.com

Also try to view the event log and see that if there are any errors in it if yes than kindly send me a Screen shot of that as well

and keep the subject of the email as " notifications couldn't be retrieved"

Sorry for the Trouble but it just happens as times :)

regards

Fazal M Khan
  8. Fazal Muhammad Khan_

Fazal Muhammad Khan_

Thank you for your Email.

I have received your email and would get back to you with my Findings ASAP

Regards

Fazal M Khan
  9. Fazal Muhammad Khan_

Fazal Muhammad Khan_

Thank you for Your patience

From your description, I understand that users received an error " notifications couldn't be retrieved" when using OWA on Exchange 2010 server. If I have misunderstood, please let me know.

To narrow down the root cause of the issue, please help me to collect the following information first:

1. Does the issue occur to all users?

2. Does the issue occur in Outlook?

3. Does the issue occur as soon as the OWA screen is opened? Or it occurs only when performing a certain action?

4. What is the topology of the organzation? How many Exchange servers?

Based on my research, I was not able to get any information related this error. To further troubleshoot, please collect the application log on the Exchange 2010 server for me to check for any relevant errors. To do so, please follow these steps:

Application log

======

1. Open Event View.

2. Browse to Windows Logs -> Application

3. Right click on it and select save Events As.

4. Type the name and save it.

5. Send the saved file to me.

Regards

Fazal M Khan
  10. andboo

andboo

1. Issue is occuring with most users. I have one user that appears to be working correctly, but I have not confirmed this.

2. Issue does not occur in outlook

3. the Issue occurs when new mail is going through to the user.

4. Only one exchange server.
  11. andboo

andboo

I have emailed you the applog in a zip format. Please let me know if you require anything more for analysis.
  12. Fazal Muhammad Khan_

Fazal Muhammad Khan_

Thank you for Your Email.

I am Currentl performing a Research on this ISSUE and would get back with my Findings ASAP

Regards

Fazal M Khan
  13. Fazal Muhammad Khan_

Fazal Muhammad Khan_

Thank You Andboo

From the application log, I cannot find any relevant event that may causes this behavior.

I checked this ISSUE with Exchange Team :).It could be caused by a race condition where the client is establishing a channel for receiving notifications from the server when the channel already exists. This issue is scheduled to be fixed in Exchange 2010 server update rollup 5.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards

Fazal M Khan
  14. andboo

andboo

Is there an expected date of release for this rollup?
  15. Fazal Muhammad Khan_

Fazal Muhammad Khan_

Thank you for your Post here

What we can do is you can drop me an email with the Title as " Notification couldnot be retrieved Rollup information"

and As soon as i heard About it I would email and inform you.

I understand your urgency.

Regards

Fazal M Khan

In the meantime we can close this thread and would get back to you on email.

It was a pleasure assisting you on this Thread
  16. JRVA_Q

JRVA_Q

Have you tried in any browser besides IE? This happens to be in IE but not in firefox. It's probably a security setting/trusted site issue but I haven't had time to mess with it. Try to see if you get a message notification in Firefox and report back.
  17. JRVA_Q

JRVA_Q

I don't know what the original gentleman's issue was, but for us, adding the owa site or the entire *.domain to the intranet sites in IE fixed our problem with blocked notifications/ new mail in outlook web app.
  18. Exchange_Guy

Exchange_Guy

We are seeing the same issue. It appears to have something to do with the reverse proxy that we have setup. When accessing OWA directly, the notifications work. However, when going through the reverse proxy, they do not.

We just see the red " x" over the bell and " Notifications couldn't be retrieved" . All other options in OWA test ok.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to resolve this?
  19. julian6709

julian6709

JRVA-Q's suggdestion will do the trick.

That is related to IE, firefox work just fine.
  20. btrut2

btrut2

This occurs for me in Firefox as well.