1. Here's a thread that needs an answer: Business Projects question

Event ID 4098, app log error, source MSExchangeRepl

Discussion in 'Exchange Server Questions' started by George Hasapidis, Mar 26, 2010.

1. George Hasapidis

George Hasapidis

The text for the above event, which occurs shortly after booting my Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition server running Exchange Server 2010, is:

" The Microsoft Exchange Replication service couldn't find a valid configuration for database '7ec33fa8-102a-41a5-a8a4-c0cfa970184f' on server 'BLACK'. Error:"

Searching the registry turns up multiple references to that hexadecimal string, associated with the Public Folders database, which is mostly working fine (except for the forms library part). I suspect this error is bogus, but I'd like to make sure and to stop the error from occurring at all. Any help is welcome, and thanks in advance.

2. jader3rd

jader3rd

Does the Public Folder database currently exist? Did you change the path of the database at any time?

3. jader3rd

jader3rd

4. George Hasapidis

George Hasapidis

Thanks for the link--my issue is the same as C3-Tech's, the one who started that thread, but the thread seems to veer off to a similar issue without resolving the initial one, which is my problem. The Public Folder db does currently exist and it's working fine, both through Outlook and OWA. I'm just getting the error described above and want to figure out what's going on and if there's something I need to fix. I think I did change the path of the db, from the C: drive to the E: drive on the same system. Is there someplace I should check for a relic setting which did not get updated?

5. Frank.Wang

Frank.Wang

Hi,

Please check:

Does the error will be got if you restart the Information Store service?

Did you install a new clear Exchange 2010 organization or upgrade from Exchange 2003 organization?

If you ran Exchange 2003 ago, have you decommissioned all Exchange 2003?

Please use Adsiedit.msc to check:

CN=Servers,CN=First administrative group,CN=Administrative Groups,CN= Organisation,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=com.

Is the container " CN=Servers" empty?

Frank Wang

6. George Hasapidis

George Hasapidis

Yes, the 4098 error occurs once every time the system boots.

I installed Exchange 2010 clean on this machine, but then migrated the entire organization from an existing Exchange 2003 server on another box to this one. I believe I have decommissioned all of Exchange 2003; at least I followed a procedure to do so on one of Microsoft's sites. However, the CN=Servers you mention is *not* empty--it still has a container named for the old box which housed the Exchange 2003 Server. Should I delete the container named for the old server (and everything in it)?

7. Narayan Singh

Narayan Singh

Can you post the error event. or some more discriptive error, did you try to run BPA ?

nAraYaN

8. Frank.Wang

Frank.Wang

Yes, the 4098 error occurs once every time the system boots.

I installed Exchange 2010 clean on this machine, but then migrated the entire organization from an existing Exchange 2003 server on another box to this one. I believe I have decommissioned all of Exchange 2003; at least I followed a procedure to do so on one of Microsoft's sites. However, the CN=Servers you mention is *not* empty--it still has a container named for the old box which housed the Exchange 2003 Server. Should I delete the container named for the old server (and everything in it)?

Hi,

Normally, if you decommissioned all exchange 2003 server, the container should be empty. Then you can delete it.

Could you please share the article you followed?

Some information share with you:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb288905(EXCHG.80).aspx

http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2007/migration-deployment/removing-last-exchange-2003-server-exchange-2007-part1.html

Frank Wang

9. George Hasapidis

George Hasapidis

I actually followed both the articles you referenced.

10. George Hasapidis

George Hasapidis

Text for the error event is in my initial posting at the top of this thread. I did run the BPA--it didn't have many suggestions, but I followed the suggestions it made, but I'm still getting this event each time I boot the system.

11. George Hasapidis

George Hasapidis

Frank, would you confirm for me that I should go ahead and delete the server container under Servers in the First Administrative Group? It seems logical to me that I should, but there are other containers within that server's container, even though the actual, real server no longer exists. Also, is there any way I can back up the container so, if deleting it does break something, I can restore the container? Thanks.

12. Frank.Wang

Frank.Wang

Hi George,

I don't very clear your organization deployment as well as the Exchange 2003 decommissioned. And I think Exchange mail system is important to your company, so I suggest you call PSS and open a case.

https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=13965&st=1&wfxredirect=1

If you want to restore the container, please backup system state on DC, also make a full backup of exchange 2010.

By the way, after you delete the container, please run repadmin /syncall, and restart the Information Store service.

Frank Wang

13. George Hasapidis

George Hasapidis

I went ahead and deleted the decommissioned Exchange 2003 server's container from the First Administrative Group. That did not resolve the Event ID 4098 issue, but it did eliminate some other events I was getting. However, leaving the empty Servers container in the First Administrative Group was a mistake as it caused my mail-enabled public folders to no longer accept messages. I then deleted that empty Servers container, and my public folders immediately began accepting mail again.

Still no solution to this (event ID 4098) issue.