1. Here's a thread that needs an answer: Outlook 2010 Updating Inbox starts again

Exchange 2010 Distribution Group expanding issue

Discussion in 'Exchange Server Questions' started by Slava Lushchinskiy, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Slava Lushchinskiy

Slava Lushchinskiy

We have universal security groups in AD where one group is the member of the other. For top level groups It can go 3-4 levels down to the group with recipients in it.

If I create Distribution Group in Exchange 2010 EMC for only top level AD security group the group is not expanded in Outlook and no emails is sent. I have to create the Distribution Groups in Exchange EMC for all the chain of AD groups in order for the top level group to expand to the recipient level.

Is it by design? Can"t Exchange 2010 just use AD to expand multi-level embedded groups? I do not want to replicate AD group structure in Exchange..
  2. Thiyagu14

Thiyagu14

Hi,

All these security groups are mail enabled right?

thanks

Thiyagu

Thiyagu | MCTS/MCITP - Exchange 2007 | MCSE 2003[Messaging] | http://www.myExchangeWorld.com. This posting is provided " AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  3. Slava Lushchinskiy

Slava Lushchinskiy

If you mean this: " In Active Directory Users and Computers, right-click the group, and then click Exchange tasks"

Than I have Windows server 2008 R2 and Exchange 2010. When I right click in “AD users and computers” there is no Exchange task and no option to “mail-enable” it anywhere.

Does mail enabling mean that I have to create the same group in EMC?
  4. Thiyagu14

Thiyagu14

5. Slava Lushchinskiy

Slava Lushchinskiy

This is what I have been afraid of. I have created 50+ security groups now I need to mail enable them. In Exchange 2010 this effectively means recreating them. This is weird to say the least.

Can someone share the shell script to mail enabling all my security groups while hiding them from Global Address list.

Thanks.
  6. Triton.Deep

Triton.Deep

Are all of these groups in one location? One organizational unit? Have a standard naming convention? some way to identify them? Just looking for a way to identify them in the script so that it's easy for you to execute them.

J.

Jason

If it was helpful, vote for it. If it answered your question, mark it as answered. Small thing to do for free help from a strong community :)
  7. Thiyagu14

Thiyagu14

Hi Slava,

Try the below code:

$grpList = Get-Content secgrplist.txt foreach ($grp in $grpList) { enable-distributiongroup -identity $grp }

load a text file named secgrplist.txt with the names of the security group

To start , first just put 1 name in the txt file (to make sure it works fine)

then open a exchange management console and then navigate to the folder where you save the text file.

Now run the above script.

thanks

Thiyagu

Thiyagu | MCTS/MCITP - Exchange 2007 | MCSE 2003[Messaging] | http://www.myExchangeWorld.com. This posting is provided " AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  8. Slava Lushchinskiy

Slava Lushchinskiy

Thiyagu14, Thanks!

What about hiding them from GAL from the shell script? I guess there should be some comandlet for it.
  9. Thiyagu14

Thiyagu14

Hi,

Add this to this line in the above code:

enable-distribuiongroup -identity $grp -HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $true

thanks

Thiyagu

10. Slava Lushchinskiy

Slava Lushchinskiy

-HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled does not work for enable-distributiongroup. It works only for set-mailbox
  11. Thiyagu14

Thiyagu14

Hi Slava,

Use this code instead which uses the Set-DistributionGroup cmdlet:

$grpList = Get-Content secgrplist.txt foreach ($grp in $grpList) { enable-distributiongroup -identity $grp set-distributiongroup -HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled $true }

thanks

Thiyagu

12. Viacheslav Lushchinskiy

Viacheslav Lushchinskiy

thanks!, I just found out that I can do bulk properties change via EMC.