1. Here's a thread that needs an answer: Outlook 2010 task - comments missing

File Access is Denied: You do not have the permission required to access the file C:\Users\Drew\AppD

Discussion in 'Using Outlook' started by Ikle, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Ikle

Ikle

I'm using Outlook 2007 on a freshly installed Win 7 machine. My default Outlook file, Outlook.pst, works just fine, as does my default archive file, Archive.pst. I also have older outlook and archive folders sitting in C:\Users\Drew\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\ that I would like to use to import any old emails that are in these files into the current file, thus doing some file housecleaning. However, everytime I try to access either outlook1.pst or archivebak.pst, I get the dreaded " File Access is Denied: You do not have the permission required to access the file C:\Users\Drew\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook1.pst" error. I've checked both files properties, and I have full control permissions over both, and neither of them are read-only. Though when I try to use the scanpst.exe utility to see what the problem might be, it reports the file as being " read-only" .

Since there is no read-only attribute box checked off on either file, is there some place else I should be looking for where this rogue read-only attribute might be set? Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Drew Davenport
  2. GordonBP

GordonBP

So how are you trying to access this file?

What you SHOULD be doing is in Outlook, do File-Open-Outlook Data File and open it that way. Do NOT use the import function.

If you find my response helpful, please click on the " Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you!

3. Ruchi Bisht

Ruchi Bisht

Try the step suggested by Gordon first.You can also try to copy the Outlook.pst or Archive.pst file in some other location and then try to open it.

Ruchi Bisht