1. Notice: I had to turn off email alerts for everyone. Anyone who wants email notification can re-enable the email alerts in their profile at outlookforums.com/account/preferences (and Alert Preferences). Also verify your email address is correct under Contact Details.

Outlook 2010 Verifying data integrity at startup

Discussion in 'Using Outlook' started by campingshadow, Aug 25, 2010.

1. campingshadow

campingshadow

I have been running various Outlook versions for many years including the Outlook 2010 beta and never have had this problem. Now with the Home version of Office 2010 every third or fourth time I open Outlook it goes thru a lengthy data verification procedure. It can take a minute or longer to verify data before opening the program. I dropped the number of saved emails from 2,000 to less than 200 and it is still acting the same. How can I get this procedure to stop running on such a regular basis? I can close Outlook and re-open in 30 seconds later and have to go thru the verification again.....when nothing has changed in that 30 seconds. It is extremely aggravating. Any suggestions?
  2. Brian Tillman

Brian Tillman

There is no " Home" version of Office. There is Office Home and Student 2010 and Office Home and Business 2010. Office Home and Student 2010 does not include Outlook. Unless you have a previous version of Outlook, you can't be using Outlook with that version. Office Home and Business does contain Outlook.

Write back and tell us exactly what you've installed.

------------------------------

If a reply helps, please vote it as helpful. If a reply solves the issue, please mark it as an answer.
  3. campingshadow

campingshadow

My apologies. I have Office Home and Business 2010.....I am running Outlook 2010. Thanks for the reply.
  4. Brian Tillman

Brian Tillman

If Outlook needs to verify your data each time it starts, then something is preventing Outlook from closing properly. You can check this by closing Outlook, then examining the Processes tab in Task Manager (press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to launch it) to see if the OUTLOOK.EXE process remains. If so, here are some things to check: Outlook Doesn't Close.Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

------------------------------

If a reply helps, please vote it as helpful. If a reply solves the issue, please mark it as an answer.
  5. campingshadow

campingshadow

Thanks for your response. As I noted before, it does not verify every time I open the program. It is very random and erratic in doing so. I can open Outlook 5 or 6 times in a row with no issue and then suddenly it will want to verify on the next opening. Seems to be more likely to happen when the computer has been turned off and Outlook is being booted up for the first time of the day. However, the verification times can be up to a minute or more in length which can be quite annoying.

I checked the link you provided and will monitor task manager for a bit and see if I can catch it acting up. Since I have changed nothing on the computer from the time I switched from the Outlook 2010 beta to the paid version, I am at a loss to explain why this would suddenly start happening. As I said, I have used all versions of Outlook for years and only the 2010 paid version is doing this. I have no add-ins for Outlook and my virus checker has not changed. Very interesting. Again, thanks for your help.
  6. Guruprasad Ra

Guruprasad Ra

Try performing the Scan PST and check if this helps to resolve the issue.
  7. campingshadow

campingshadow

Well, I checked Task Manager and even tho Outlook was closing properly, it was still forcing it to verify data on start-up. Seemed to happen most on a fresh boot of the day after the machine had been turned off, although not always.

Checked the thread today and saw the above answer. So I tried it and sure enough it came back with errors in the file. Did a repair and it checked complete. Launched Outlook and it launched clean. YEA!!! I will monitor for a couple of days to see if this was the final answer, but I suspect it is. Thanks so much!!!!!
  8. campingshadow

campingshadow

Update...I had so hoped that Scanpst was the answer. Unfortunately it is not. When I opened Outlook this morning it started its data verifying again. It starts out very slowly - taking about 10 seconds to get from 1% to 3% and takes about a full minute to get to 100%. Again, seems to happen the most at the first start-up of the day or after the machine has been shut down. Does anyone else have any options or remedies I might try? This is so frustrating.
  9. Guruprasad Ra

Guruprasad Ra

What is the format of the Outlook data file (97- 2003 or 2007)?

To verify the data format:

File > Account settings > Data files > Click on the data file > click on settings

How large is the PST file?
  10. campingshadow

campingshadow

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Outlook is now data verifying on almost every time it starts. When I check the data file settings it simply says Outlook data file. No other identifiers are listed. Therefore I would have to assume it is a 2010 file.

The PST file is 4,791,873 KB. Again, this has never been a problem on any version of Outlook that I have ever used, nor was it a problem on the Beta version. It is only when I moved to the paid version that these problems started.

I really appreciate any help you can provide on how to fix this. I am wondering if I should try to reinstall Outlook and see if it will repair itself. I am hesitant to do so as I hate to lose any possible settings and information and that is always a risk when you start reinstalling programs. However, I am ready to try just about anything to get this darn thing to quit verifying data all the time.
  11. PStruve

PStruve

I have the exact same problem and looking for an answer... Also tried the scanpst without any luck. Removed all add-ins again without any luck...
  12. RogerKiZAN

RogerKiZAN

Sae for me. I have been having the same problem for weeks. I run scanpst and repair at least once/week. It will work fine for days and then I am back to the same problem. Happening again today... after a repair 6 days ago.
  13. campingshadow

campingshadow

I was continuing to have multiple problems with my email and every time I ran Scanpst it would hang when it started the repairs. Did some sleuthing and discovered that the PST file size was 6 GB. Now there is no way I would have that many emails. Digging deeper I discovered that one of my RSS feeds had gone on steroids and had loaded my email with over 100,000 emails - yep! 100,000 !!!!!! Took about 20 minutes to delete all of them, but finally got the file down to about 70 MG and then ran Scanpst and the repair completed. Scanpst will not work on files over 2 GB in size. Now just have to wait and see if that did the trick.