How to clean .pst file

Discussion in 'Using Outlook' started by helpsp, Nov 16, 2010.

1. helpsp

helpsp

Hello there,

Which tool and best method to clean .pst file? My customer stored her .pst on her local drive and her machine got infected by rootkit and malware.

Which the best tool to clean the data?

Thanks a lot.
  2. Praseetha K

Praseetha K

Hi helpsp,

You may refer the following link and try running the Malicious Software Removal Tool to remove the malware from the system.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.aspx

Also refer the link (which applies to Windows XP also):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows7/How-do-I-remove-a-computer-virus

Hope this information is helpful.

Praseetha K

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the " Mark as Answer" or " Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.
  3. Roady [MVP]

Roady [MVP]

Hello there,

Which tool and best method to clean .pst file? My customer stored her .pst on her local drive and her machine got infected by rootkit and malware.

Which the best tool to clean the data?

Thanks a lot.

A pst-file is not affected by this in any way. Even if the virus was attached to an email, it cannot become active from within the pst-file.

You can remove the message from Outlook (and the Deleted Items folder) and run " Compact Now" if you really want to truncate the data but it is really superfluous in terms of " cleaning the pst-file" .

Anyway, see; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/81

Robert Sparnaaij

4. helpsp

helpsp

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

However, I need to clean 100 .pst files for the customers. I cannot log in to individual machine due to security. Which best method and tool to do that?

Thanks,
  5. Roady [MVP]

Roady [MVP]

However, I need to clean 100 .pst files for the customers. I cannot log in to individual machine due to security. Which best method and tool to do that?Let's go a step backwards here; Why exactly do you think you need to clean the pst-file in the first place? As I said, leaving it in there doesn't do the system any harm.

Robert Sparnaaij

6. helpsp

helpsp

I need a clean .pst in order to put it in the new OS. Any tool to clean it it? Or is there any way to push it back to the Exchange Server and let the server takes care of it?

Thanks
  7. Roady [MVP]

Roady [MVP]

You are really not making much sense here and I think it is because you are skipping crucial parts of your entire story and are using some wrong terminology.

Why do you need a clean pst-file?

Do you mean an entirely new pst-file without anything in it?

You now are mentioning an Exchange server now as well. How does this relate to the rest of your story? Why are people storing things in a pst-file when you have an Exchange server and why do the contents of the pst-files now need to go back to the Exchange server again?

You have not mentioned your version of Outlook or Exchange yet, which would defintely help when offering a solution.

My recommendation; push a prf-file to the clients to reconfigure their mail profile. Take all the pst-files from your network and import them into the mailbox of that user on the Exchange server. How to achieve this exactly depends completely on what and why you are trying to achieve what you are asking and the versions you are using of Outlook and Exchange.

Robert Sparnaaij