Sending reported error - 0x800CCC13. Cannnot connect to the network

Discussion in 'Using Outlook' started by LBLandRover, Oct 27, 2010.

  1. LBLandRover

    LBLandRover

    Guest
    Outlook 2007 had been working fine for months. Two weeks ago it stopped working. Have tried turning off firewall. Deleating antiVries program. Reinstalling email account. Stopped working after upates had recently installed. Restore to previous date, worked briefly, but updates reinstalled before I could stop them. Now Sept restore date has vanished. I can receive emails. I can also " Test Account Settings" which sends a test email, which does go through. Other computers including my laptop work fine.
     
  2. Ezil Vinoth

    Ezil Vinoth

    Guest
    Try creating a new profile in outlook and then check the status.

    Note: Email account has to be created in the new profile before you could try sending/receiving mails.

    If this fails then restart your computer in clean boot mode to check if there is any non-Microsoft service interfering while sending attachments.

    Note: Please follow Step 7 in the link above to restart the computer in normal mode.
     
  3. LBLandRover

    LBLandRover

    Guest
    Thank you for responding. Tried all suggestions. Problem still exsists.
     
  4. Ezil Vinoth

    Ezil Vinoth

    Guest
    What type of email account have you configured in Outlook (POP or IMAP or Exchange)?

    Restart the computer in Windows safe mode with networking and check the status of Outlook.
     
  5. Jedsdad

    Jedsdad

    Guest
    I had been getting this message for 2-3 weeks now (at least) I think.

    – Sending" reported error (0x800CCC13) : "Unable to connect to the network. Check your network connection or modem."

    I am running Outlook 2010 with Windows 7

    I tried searching everywhere for an answer but nothing seemed to work.

    Last night I tried rolling back the Windows Updates from 5/12/2010 to before 28/10/2010 when there several updates had been installed and I saw 2 had failed

    Update for Windows 7 (KB2249857) and Windows Live Essentials 2011 (KB2434419)

    I note Update for Windows 7 (KB2249857) had been installed successfully later but Windows Live Essentials 2011 (KB2434419) had never been

    I reinstalled all updates one at at time leaving the Windows Live Essentials 2011 (KB2434419) till last.

    When installing Windows Live Essentials 2011 (KB2434419) this time I elected to just update those apps I already have, I cant remember what I did last time I updated.

    Anyway it worked and I dont get the error message anymore

    Task "User
     
  6. alexhusty

    alexhusty

    Member
    The first and foremost thing that you need to do is to see whether the SMTP connect is correct or not. Check the firewall settings because at times due to blocked settings, the above Outlook error might arise. You can also disable the virus scanner intergration so as to fix the problem. If still the problem is not resolved, then the last option is to make a new Outlook profile.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012

Share This Page