1. Here's a thread that needs an answer: Backup to the Cloud

I receive the following Sending Report Error: 0X80042109 Outlook cannot connect to my outgoing serve

Discussion in 'Using Outlook' started by journeyman0716, Nov 4, 2010.

1. journeyman0716

journeyman0716

I am at a hotel using their unsecured internet. My Microsoft Outlook 2010 will receive emails but it will NOT send emails. I get an error message that says the outllook could not log onto my outgoing server. My incoming and outgoing server addresses are the same. At home, I do not have this problem Tried switiching Iternet Protected Mode " off." No difference. Turned my McAfee firewall off. No difference. Checked my Outlook Program permissions. All " full." Internet Access is fine. Any advice?

2. Bruce Hagen

Bruce Hagen

Please post any error message in its entirety. You can left click on it to highlight and then right click to copy and then paste it into this thread.

You are probably using port 25 for your SMTP setting. That will not work when you're away from home. The port number you need to change it to is specified by your ISP.

Microsoft Office Outlook Forums

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/outlook

Bruce Hagen

MS-MVP Oct. 1, 2004 ~ Sept. 30, 2010

Imperial Beach, CA

3. Gary VanderMolen [MVP]

Gary VanderMolen [MVP]

Looks like you are running into a port 25 block. As a general rule, the owner of the port 25 SMTP server you are using must be the same as the entity from which your Internet connection is coming at that moment. For more on this anti-spamming issue see

http://www.postcastserver.com/help/Port_25_Blocking.aspx

The available workarounds when sending away from home are as follows:

1. Use webmail for sending (via your browser).

2. Ask your home ISP if they have a port other than '25' for SMTP.

3. If you frequently send from multiple locations, get a free Gmail account, configure it for POP access, set it up in Windows Mail, and use that for your sending chores. Gmail uses port 465 for SMTP, which is not blocked. You can also use a Hotmail/Live POP account, because it allows sending on port 587.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

----------------------" journeyman0716" wrote in message news:b845d4f0-b03d-4084-b211-69b2aa2a6e49@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I am at a hotel using their unsecured internet. My Microsoft Outlook 2010 will receive emails but it will NOT send emails. I get an error message that says the outllook could not log onto my outgoing server. My incoming and outgoing server addresses are the same. At home, I do not have this problem Tried switiching Iternet Protected Mode " off." No difference. Turned my McAfee firewall off. No difference. Checked my Outlook Program permissions. All " full." Internet Access is fine. Any advice?

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)