1. Here's a thread that needs an answer: Mail accounts don't show up in navigation pane

Outlook 2007 not receiving emails

Discussion in 'Using Outlook' started by Keniom, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Keniom

Keniom

I have set up email accounts and tested them. They show receipt and sending OK, but inbox remains empty.

The drop down menu from Send and Receive does not show presence of any email account and the progress indicator shows no activity.

I have checked and double checked the correct settings for a .ntl account and they are exactly the same as on my laptop which works perfectly

The 'Repair' tool in Account Settings tells me all is OK for non-encypted emails

I have tried the re-install of Office 2007, but no change.

I also tried removing NIS 2010 and using alternate AntiVirus - no difference

Please can any one suggest a cure - This is driving me mad.

Ken

2. Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Have you checked your Junk E-mail folder?

What kind of account is this? POP3? IMAP? Hotmail? Exchange? Something else?

3. Keniom

Keniom

It's POP3 and all folders remain empty.

4. Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

But you're saying the " Test Configuration" on the e-mail account works successfully? Test message sent and received?

Are you able to send messages thru this account?

How many accounts do you have configured on this machine?

5. Keniom

Keniom

There are three accounts, all POP3, configured for Outlook 2007 and I can send messages. The problem is that nothing appears in the Inbox or even in the Junk Mail folders.

6. Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

But you're saying the " Test Configuration" on the e-mail account works successfully? Test message sent and received?

Have you confirmed with your mail hosting service that you have the right servername and port number for the POP3 (Inbound) server?

7. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

There are three accounts, all POP3, configured for Outlook 2007 and I can send messages. The problem is that nothing appears in the Inbox or even in the Junk Mail folders.

Are you using the same accounts you use on the laptop? Are both computers set to leave on the server? Does the laptop download the test messages sent by the new machine?

Is anything downloaded? If so, use the Unread folder to see if you can find where they are delivered to.

8. Keniom

Keniom

Same accounts on both and neither set to leave on server. Nothing at all is delivered to any of the 3 accounts, so Inbox, Junk and unread are all empty.

Having done a lot of searching on forums and various web pages, I have come to the conclusion that this is a particular problem with my Virgin Media account and Outlook 2007.

It would appear that the problem has not occurred on the laptop because it has been running for some time, whereas the desk top is a new installation.

At the moment I am being fobbed off with claims that there is a problem with emails which should clear within 5 or 6 hours. Meanwhile I can access all emails via Outlook Express, so have defaulted to this.

I appreciate the assistance offered and in the event that I ever get the problem solved, I will post results.

Ken

9. Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

So you're saying the mail is successfully downloading on your laptop but not your desktop. And the laptop is configured to NOT leave a copy of messages on the server. Is the laptop running most of the time?

If so...that's the problem. The laptop is downloading the messages before the desktop can get to them. When the desktop goes to check there aren't any messages there to download because the laptop didn;t leave a copy on the server.

10. Keniom

Keniom

Alas! The laptop is NOT running most of the time and the problem occurs even when it is switched off as it has been all day.

As I said in my earlier post, I am convinced this is an issue specific to this particular ISP who have recently switched to using Google for emails. Their help desk is not particularly helpful!

Ken

11. Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Well, please let us know if you get it resolved. It certainly sounds odd - if everything is set up correctly then a simple POP account shouldn't be that difficult. :-(