1. Here's a thread that needs an answer: Emails hang in Outbox

Exchange 2010 SP1 Event id 9040 : Unable to save watermarks

Discussion in 'Exchange Server Questions' started by matyke, Dec 1, 2010.

1. matyke

matyke

Dear all,

I'm getting quite periodically (each 2-5 minutes) this error in event log. Can anybody guide me what's wrong?

Service MSExchangeMailSubmission. An exception has been handled on behalf of an assistant. A report will be sent for the following exception: Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.AIGrayException ---> Microsoft.Exchange.Common.GrayException ---> Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionPartialCompletion: MapiExceptionPartialCompletion: Unable to save watermarks. (hr=0x40680, ec=0)

Diagnostic context:

Lid: 1494 ---- Remote Context Beg --
    Lid: 10804 StoreEc: 0xFFFFF9BF

Lid: 25094

Lid: 13710 StoreEc: 0x89B

Lid: 14672 StoreEc: 0x40680

Lid: 2031 StoreEc: 0x40680

Lid: 18009 StoreEc: 0x40680

Lid: 1750 ---- Remote Context End --
    Lid: 32361 StoreEc: 0x40680

at Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionHelper.ThrowIfErrorOrWarning(String message, Int32 hresult, Boolean allowWarnings, SafeExInterfaceHandle iUnknown, Exception innerException)

at Microsoft.Mapi.MapiEventManager.SaveWatermarks(Watermark[] watermarks)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.EventAccess.<>c__DisplayClassd.<SaveWatermarks>b__c()

at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.EventAccess.CallEventManager(EventManagerFunction function)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.EventControllerPrivate.UpdateIdleWatermarksForAssistant(Guid[] idleMailboxes, Guid assistantId)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.EventControllerPrivate.DisposeOfIdleDispatchers()

at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.EventController.<UpdateWatermarks>b__4()

at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.Util.<>c__DisplayClass1.<CoreCatchMeIfYouCan>b__0()

at Microsoft.Exchange.Common.IL.ILUtil.DoTryFilterCatch(TryDelegate tryDelegate, FilterDelegate filterDelegate, CatchDelegate catchDelegate)

--- End of inner exception stack trace -
    at Microsoft.Exchange.Common.GrayException.ExceptionCatcher(Object exception)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Common.IL.ILUtil.DoTryFilterCatch(TryDelegate tryDelegate, FilterDelegate filterDelegate, CatchDelegate catchDelegate)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Common.GrayException.MapAndReportGrayExceptions(UserCodeDelegate tryCode)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.Util.CoreCatchMeIfYouCan(CatchMe function)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.Util.CatchMeIfYouCan(CatchMe function)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.Util.TraceAndThrow(CatchMe function, AIException aiException)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.Base.CatchMeIfYouCan(CatchMe function).

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns=" http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event" >

<System>

<Provider Name=" MSExchange Assistants" />

<EventID Qualifiers=" 16388" >9040</EventID>

<Level>4</Level>

<Task>1</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime=" 2010-12-01T14:24:55.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>73855</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>euprg1nt501.das4net.com</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>MSExchangeMailSubmission</Data>

<Data>Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.AIGrayException ---&gt; Microsoft.Exchange.Common.GrayException ---&gt; Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionPartialCompletion: MapiExceptionPartialCompletion: Unable to save watermarks. (hr=0x40680, ec=0)

Diagnostic context:

Lid: 1494 ---- Remote Context Beg --
    Lid: 10804 StoreEc: 0xFFFFF9BF

Lid: 25094

Lid: 13710 StoreEc: 0x89B

Lid: 14672 StoreEc: 0x40680

Lid: 2031 StoreEc: 0x40680

Lid: 18009 StoreEc: 0x40680

Lid: 1750 ---- Remote Context End --
    Lid: 32361 StoreEc: 0x40680

at Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionHelper.ThrowIfErrorOrWarning(String message, Int32 hresult, Boolean allowWarnings, SafeExInterfaceHandle iUnknown, Exception innerException)

at Microsoft.Mapi.MapiEventManager.SaveWatermarks(Watermark[] watermarks)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.EventAccess.<&gt;c__DisplayClassd.<SaveWatermarks&gt;b__c()

at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.EventAccess.CallEventManager(EventManagerFunction function)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.EventControllerPrivate.UpdateIdleWatermarksForAssistant(Guid[] idleMailboxes, Guid assistantId)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.EventControllerPrivate.DisposeOfIdleDispatchers()

at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.EventController.<UpdateWatermarks&gt;b__4()

at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.Util.<&gt;c__DisplayClass1.<CoreCatchMeIfYouCan&gt;b__0()

at Microsoft.Exchange.Common.GrayException.ExceptionCatcher(Object exception)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Common.GrayException.MapAndReportGrayExceptions(UserCodeDelegate tryCode)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.Util.CoreCatchMeIfYouCan(CatchMe function)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.Util.TraceAndThrow(CatchMe function, AIException aiException)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Assistants.Base.CatchMeIfYouCan(CatchMe function)</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Martin

2. Jeremy Wood

Jeremy Wood

I'm having the exact same error. I've noted one other post with a person having this. They moved the users to a different store, deleted and recreated it. This person had things in a test lab and my machines are in production, so that's not really an option.

I'd be interested to see what the answer is to this.

----Jer

3. Jeremy Wood

Jeremy Wood

From what I have been able to put together so far, the MAPI error 0x40680 means it was unable to delete something. So this would definitely fall in line with the throttle based managed folders that I am currently working on.

Now I just have to figure out why it can't delete the item.

----Jer

4. matyke

matyke

Hello Jeremy,

I didn't create any managed folders policy, it's just fresh installation of exchange 2010 sp1 server. Is there possibility to identify which mailbox is affected with this issue?

Martin

5. Jeremy Wood

Jeremy Wood

Martin;

I'm not 100% sure this error is associated with the managed folders. I didn't notice the error until I started configuring the managed folders. It's very possible the error was there before.

The hr=0x40680 error from what I can find through searching show an error deleting an item via MAPI. That is how I connected the 2 together. However, it would appear that other people are having problems with retention tag based managed folders not deleting messages as well. So I could be completely wrong.

I have been unable to determine which mailbox is causing the error so far.

----Jer

6. matyke

matyke

Hi all,

I tried to move all mailboxes to new database and delete old database and it helps. Strange watermarks error in event log stop appearing.

But I found other strange thing, my database was pretty weird. When I count size of all mailboxes it was around 11 GB, but edb file was 60GB!!! When I was migrating mailboxes, one mailbox was showing in moverequeststatistics size of mailbox was 10GB, but after migration in new database mailbox size was only 600MB.

When all mailboxes was migrated (even arbitration mailboxes), mailbox database cleaned (so no disconneted mailboxes showed in EMC), I tried to offline defragment edb file with eseutil, and after all that edb file was still 54GB without any mailbox at all!!!

So there was really something strange in database which cause this errors. My solution was to create new databases and move mailboxes to new one.

Martin