1. Here's a thread that needs an answer: Microsoft office Cannot complete operation error

PST reached maximum size- cant delete emails to slim it down

Discussion in 'Using Outlook' started by pumpkin_feet, Jul 11, 2011.

1. pumpkin_feet

pumpkin_feet

Hello chaps,

When I try and do anything with my archive.pst, including delete an email, I get the following:

The file [path]\archive.pst has reached its maximum size. To reduce the amount of data in this file, select some items that you no longer need, and then permanently delete them by pressing SHIFT+DELETE.

What can I do about this? I understand from elsewhere that there is a 2GB max on these files but this pst is only 944MB.

This is a corporate email account with many restrictions placed on what I can do in outlook. For example, I cant create new pst files, so any solution which involves this is a non-starter!

Please let me know what I can do!

Thanks!
  2. pepelepieux

pepelepieux

3. saigasmith

saigasmith

4. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

In Outlook 2007, the default is actually 20 GB, controlled by a registry key, with up to 1TB allowed. Because your company is limited pst files, my money is on a policy that restricts the allowed size of existing pst files.

If they don't have you locked out of viewing the registry, you could look for the max file size keys -

Because thye have policies in place, it should be here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\PST

The unicode keys are:

MaxLargeFileSize

WarnLargeFileSize

ansi keys:

MaxFileSize

WarnFileSize

if any of those keys is set to 944, the admin is doing it. Your only hope (besides begging or bribing the admin) is closing outlook and renaming the pst - then hope that outlook can create a new one of the same name. If policy keeps you from opening the renamed pst, it won't do you much good though, as you'll only be able to see the newly archived mail.

See http://www.slipstick.com/config/set_pst_size.asp for more info.
  5. pumpkin_feet

pumpkin_feet

Chaps you are all heroes.

The repair PST program worked great.

Incidentally, as per the registry, my pst's are limited to 1024MB. Still pretty bad.

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2011
  6. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

If the file size is limited to 1024, it bought you a little time... to make more room you can remove attachments, delete large messages, save messages to a folder in My documents... run Compact pst to regain space after removing attachments or large messages.