Can we make custom form as default form in BCM 2010?

Discussion in 'BCM (Business Contact Manager)' started by early riser, Oct 9, 2012.

1. early riser

early riser

Hi,

I have a few questions on custom form.

1. I just finished customizing a new record type from account-based record type in BCM 2010. I gave the form name as Visiting Information. So, now I would like to make this form as the default form instead of the standard Account form. Say for instance when user double click at the Account pane to create a new record, my Visiting Information form will be opened instead of the normal Account form. How can I make that happen?
    2. If item #1 is not achievable, can I maybe add the shor tcut menu at the ribbon to create new Visiting Information record? What I have now is, I have to go to the ribbon for New Item > New Account > Visiting Information. Is it possible to do have a New Visiting Information menu on the ribbon?
    3. One of my custom fields (using the account-based record type) in Visiting Information requires a really long text field (like multiple text line). I created a new field for it but there isn't any datatype for long text. Only text available. How can I increase the text size because I really need to have that field. I can't use Comment anymore since it has been used before in the first page of the form. Please assist.

Thanks in advance.

-A
  2. early riser

early riser

I have found the solution for item #1 and #2 right after I posted this thread. If you guys are wondering how to make your custom form available just like the default forms,

- go to BCM > Contact Management.

- Right click at any tabs available and click New Tab.

- Choose your custom form (e.g Visiting Information), and specify filter if necessary.

- Your custom form will appear in the tab of Contact Management and the ribbon as well (e.g. New Visiting Information)

I still need your assistance for item #3. So please assist.

Thanks in advance.

-A
  3. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

1. right click on the folder where you want to use it and choose properties - can you set the form there? (I forget if that works for BCM and it doesn't work with Outlook 2013 yet, so its not installed to check)

2. I think this method will work: How to Open Outlook Templates and Files using Toolbar Buttons

3/ if its not available you can't add it... but i will need to check it to be sure. i need to install BCM in a VM so i can sync it with my sharepoint contacts, might as well do it now. :)
  4. early riser

early riser

Ok, hope you can revert to me a.s.a.p. :). But, by all means, there is no way to change the datatype of the fields beside those listed, am I right? There are only 10 datatypes including relationship.

I really need at least 100 characters accepted for the field. Can I maybe change the datatype to long text/increase string size through MS SQL server?

Btw, thank you for yr reply Diane.

-A
  5. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

Afaik, it's not recommended to change the data types, but yes, it is possible to make the change on the SQL server. I haven't tried it (yet) so I can't say if it causes other problems. I can try it but I'm mostly a "Sunday morning" bcm user and will only know if it causes immediate problems, not bugs that show up later.
  6. early riser

early riser

In that case I'll find other ways to make the field work. Thanks Diane.