Error 0x80040600 + Cannot move the items. The item cannot be moved . . .

Discussion in 'Using Outlook' started by StevenHB, Oct 10, 2012.

1. StevenHB

StevenHB

As of 11:13 AM this morning, I'm unable to receive mail into my default Inbox. I'm also unable to move messages out of the Inbox folder and into a .pst folder (the full text of the error message is "Cannot move items. The item cannot be moved. It was either already moved or deleted, or access was denied."

I'm running Outlook 2010 (32 bit) on Windows 7 (64 bit).

I'm able to receive mail into a subfolder under the inbox (it's moved there by an Exchange-side rule) and I'm able to send mail through this Exchange profile. And I'm able to move items in this subfolder to psts. I've tried running the repair tool (twice) and rebooting. There seems to be a problem with the Inbox itself.

I should add that I can access and manipulate this mailbox through OWA, it's just client-side that I'm having a problem.

How can I fix this?

2. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

How many items are in the folder? This error is usually related to being oversized, but that should not be a problem with outlook 2010 unless you use an ansi pst - but even so, nothing in the pst would work and it would not affect the inbox (except to the extent you are trying to move inbox items to the pst).

Two things you can try - right click on the folder, choose properties and then clear offline items or close outlook and rename the ost.

3. StevenHB

StevenHB

There are, of course, a shitload of items in the .ost file (more than 72,000, I think I saw somewhere along the way). It's a bit under 4 gigs in size.

I'm going to try recreating it. Is all that's required that I rename it (or delete, but I won't do this) and then open Outlook?

4. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

How many in the ost total is not a problem - it's how many in the inbox - not that it should matter, as it should be a Unicode ost.

Close outlook, go to the local app datafile where the ost is kept - in windows 7/8/Vista, you can past %localappdata%\Microsoft\outlook in windows explorer then press Enter to open the folder. Rename the ost file. Restart outlook - it will recreate it, but will probably whine a little first.

1 person likes this.
  5. StevenHB

StevenHB

It was a shitload in the Inbox, too. Regardless, recreation is in process and will take a few hours to pull a gig or so down.

Thanks for your very prompt help.

6. champ365

champ365

Did it work??

7. StevenHB

StevenHB

Yes, it did. I should have reported back at the time.

8. Segun Oloye

Segun Oloye

Hello Diane,

I tried to rename the ost file but when i reopen outlook 2010 the email other folders has disappeared and on clicking the inbox is showing blank.

I will appreciate your help pls.

Thanks.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 19, 2014 ---
    I have the exact same problem with Steven. Also, when i choose properties i didn't see clear offline items

9. Segun Oloye

Segun Oloye

To be more clearer please, I wanted to export my mails as backup in Outlook 2010 and got the process terminated after a while with this error message: Can't move the items. The item could not be moved. It was either already moved or deleted, or access was denied.

Kindly help please.

Please ignore all previous posts.

10. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

Clear offline is only available with Exchange server.