Flag for Follow up or create new task

Discussion in 'Using Outlook' started by 23chickens, Oct 12, 2012.

1. 23chickens

23chickens

Hi,

I am confused about the difference between flagging something or creating a new task. I have a quick step setup where from an email I create a new task with the content of the email. I can also use flag the email for follow up which essentially is the same thing. I have a feeling I am making this harder than it really is, but it seems I should abandon creating a new task strategy and just use the follow up flag. Does this make sense? I guess tasks are really just used for things that require my attention that are not originated from email?

Hmm... Now would I need to create a quick step for every follow option - next week, month etc... Of course not - I am just being complicated!

Give me some advice on flagging for follow up VS creating new tasks.

Thanks in advance.

2. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

Use the method that makes the most sense for you and your work habits - either is correct.

Yes, you can save a step by flagging email - but some people prefer Tasks because it's always there. If you accidently delete or clear the flag, you lose it from it the to-do list. Tasks are always there unless you delete them. Flagged messages are mixed in with hundreds of messages - tasks are all alone in the Tasks folder. If you are overzealous and flag a bunch of junk then have a change of heart and clear the flags, you can't retrace your steps. If you do this with tasks and mark them complete, you can unmark them. If you delete them, they might still be in the Deleted items folder when you change your mind.

If you don't get a lot of mail or flag things for followup soon, its not bad, but as one who has a lot of flagged messages - it gets unmanageable as the messages age. I'm back to making real tasks for important things, less important things, or ones I'm definitely going to work ASAP, get flagged.