1. Notice: I had to turn off email alerts for everyone. Anyone who wants email notification can re-enable the email alerts in their profile at outlookforums.com/account/preferences (and Alert Preferences). Also verify your email address is correct under Contact Details.

Visual Basic auto create task from email including attachments

Discussion in 'Using Outlook' started by carol1, Oct 12, 2012.

1. carol1

carol1

I would like the email attachment to be included in the task. What would i need to add to the code below:

Sub ConvertMailtoTask(Item As Outlook.MailItem)

Dim objTask As Outlook.TaskItem

Set objTask = Application.CreateItem(olTaskItem)

objTask.Subject = Item.Subject

objTask.StartDate = Item.ReceivedTime

objTask.Body = Item.Body

objTask.Save

Set objTask = Nothing

End Sub
  2. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

Add these two lines to the code:

Dim newAttachment As Outlook.Attachment

Set newAttachment = objTask.Attachments.Add(Item, Outlook.OlAttachmentType.olEmbeddeditem)
  3. carol1

carol1

Thank you. What code would i need to add to assign the task to a category filtered by the subject line.
  4. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

you mean "if subject = A, then category = A" "if subject = B, then category = B"?
  5. carol1

carol1

Yes thats what i want the code to do.
  6. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

You'd use the following lines in somewhere between the Set objtask = application and objtask.save lines.

If InStr(Item.Subject, "keyword") Then objTask.Categories = "keyword"

If InStr(Item.Subject, "keyword2") Then objTask.Categories = "keyword2"

You could split it to make it easier to manage - the three lines at the top, the objtask line before obj.save.

Dim strCat As String

If InStr(Item.Subject, "keyword") Then strCat = "keyword"

If InStr(Item.Subject, "more") Then strCat = "more"

objTask.Categories = strCat

Either of the above works for a few keywords, but if you need to use a lot, you need to use an array.

At the top:

Dim strCat As String

Dim arrCat As Variant

arrCat = Array("1keyword", "2keyword", "3keyword", "4keyword", "5keyword", "6keyword", "7keyword", "8keyword", "9keyword")

For i = LBound(arrCat) To UBound(arrCat)

If InStr(Item.Subject, arrCat(i)) Then strCat = arrCat(i)

Next i

before save:

objTask.Categories = strCat
  7. carol1

carol1

I used the first code from your reply and it did not work for me. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Would i be able to assign a category by the sender?
  8. Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Administrator
    Do you get any error messages?

InStr should be case-insensitive, but try using LCase(Item.subject) instead of Item.Subject and lower case keywords.

Yes, you can use any field -

If Item.SenderEmailAddress = "alias@domain.com" Then objTask.Categories = "keyword"

Note that this will not work for addresses on your exchange server -they don't have a smtp address.

BTW - if you want the message to remain unread in the Inbox, add the following before the end of the macro.

Item.UnRead = True

Item.Save
  9. carol1

carol1

No error messages it just didnt assign the task to the category. My subject line will always start with [Ticket # then the rest of the subject line will vary. I used the following in my code as my keyword "[Ticket"
  10. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

First test it with a simple category on every task it creates -

objTask.categories = "Test"

if that works, try

If left(item.subject, 9) = "[Ticket #" Then objTask.Categories = "Ticket"

ETA: put the code right before the objtask.save command.