Do you drag messages to create appointments?

Discussion in 'Outlook and Exchange Polls' started by Forum Admin, Oct 24, 2012.

?

Do you drag messages to a date on the little calendar to create appointments?

1. Yes, frequenbtly. I love this feature.

10 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. Yes, sometimes.

12 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. I drag items to the Calendar folder, not to a date on the calendar.

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. No. I knew about this feature but don't use it.

16 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. Really? You can do that? I never knew.

35 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Administrator
    Do you drag messages, tasks, or contacts to a specific date on the navigation calendar to create an appointment for that date? Share you comments below.

Background: Outlook 2013 replaces the To-Do Bar with what Microsoft calls a Peek. You can't drag items to it to create new appointments. The calendar peek shows only appointments for the selected day, not the next xx number of appointments.

More information on Peeks is available at Using the Calendar Peek in Outlook 2013 - Slipstick Systems

Video example:

<!-- copy and paste. Modify height and width if desired. --><iframe class="tscplayer_inline embeddedObject" name="tsc_player" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" type="text/html" style="overflow:hidden;" src="http://www.screencast.com/users/poremsky/folders/Camtasia Studio/media/59e9e4cf-febf-4a6a-bc83-332f96156401/embed" height="200" width="420" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe
    When you drag items to the date, the appointments uses that date. The time defaults to 8 AM (or the start of your workday.)

You can also drag items to the Calendar icon at the bottom of the navigation pane. (The button that opens the calendar module.) when you drag to the calendar button (or calendar folder in other versions), the appointment date is "today".

2. Halesowenmum

Halesowenmum

So this is about Outlook 2013???! Hence my answer - as a 2007 user I've never been aware of this feature, presumably because it isn't available in 2007?!

3. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

It's in all versions, up until Outlook 2013. It was really handy to create appointments from email and have the date filled in.

4. larry

larry

I'm disappointed that I can't drag to dates in Outlook 2013, although the new to-do bar thing is a piece of ****. It's truly awful. At least I can drag to the navigation folder icons or names. I need to change the date after it opens though.

5. JJB

JJB

Using 2010, and use this feature a lot - not happy to hear I'll lose this in the 2013 upgrade.

I would estimate that about 95% of the time, the message I'm dragging to the calendar should have been created as a meeting request to begin with. Done this way, nothing needs to be moved, just accepted or denied. I'm confident the folks on the Outlook development team are better at using the tool the way it was meant to be used than my office. Is it just my organization that seems incapable of sending meeting requests?

- - - Updated - - -

Using 2010, and use this feature a lot - not happy to hear I'll lose this in the 2013 upgrade.

I would estimate that about 95% of the time, the message I'm dragging to the calendar should have been created as a meeting request to begin with. Done this way, nothing needs to be moved, just accepted or denied. I'm confident the folks on the Outlook development team are better at using the tool the way it was meant to be used than my office. Is it just my organization that seems incapable of sending meeting requests?

6. artincanada

artincanada

Yes a great feature and saves a lot of work and reduces errors

7. ilesher

ilesher

I have multiple calendars, including one for my direct reports. When they would send me an email regarding an absence, I would drag the email to the calendar icon, which would pop-up a list of my calendars, then I could drop it on the appropriate calendar. I actually didn't know until today that I could use the small calendar - although I believe that would have put the appointment on my primary calendar only. As far as I can tell, now that I'm using Outlook 2013, I can no longer do this. I thought I could create a Quick Step, but that seems to limit the destination folders to email folders only. And when in an appointment form, there doesn't appear to be any way to change it's calendar.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

8. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

You are correct that the navigation calendars go to the default calendar, but you could use the Move to calendar command instead of Save and Close. It's not as fast as just dropping it on the correct folder though.

I hadn't noticed that hovering over the navigation buttons no longer opened that navigation. Not good. :( you can use the Move to folder command - its on File tab or you can a shortcut to the ribbon. If you always use the same calendar you could use a macro.