1. Here's a thread that needs an answer: Change default email for address book

Outlook 2013 - Removed Social Connector, LinkedIn and Messenger Reappear

Discussion in 'Using Outlook' started by kburrows, Nov 26, 2012.

1. kburrows

kburrows

I upgraded to 2013 about a month ago. In the initial setup, I added my LinkedIn, Facebook and Messenger accounts linking them to my Office Account. I then realized it was creating multiple contacts on my iPhone and that my default picture and the pictures of other contacts kept changing between the LinkedIn and Facebook pictures randomly and couldn't get my default pictures back. I went to the Office Account options and removed all the Connected Services and removed the Social Connector from Add-Ins. I restarted Outlook and thought everything was okay until multiple contacts started reappearing on my phone again. I checked the Connected Services and Add-Ins and both showed no connected services; however, when I went to the Folders view, there were Contacts folders for both LinkedIn and Messenger. I deleted the folders and the duplicate contacts disappeared temporarily, but each time Outlook is restarted, the folders reappear.

How can I remove these permanently? Thanks!

2. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

i would not have removed the social connector addin... did you sign out of the services in View > People Pane > Account settings?

3. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

Oh, and since its an exchange account, log in using OWA and see if the folders are in your mailbox.

4. kburrows

kburrows

I logged out of each connected service, closed Outlook. I then re-opened Outlook and only unchecked the Social Connector Add-In. I did not remove it.

5. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

The connected services on the Office Account page does not add /remove contacts from Outlook (or the feed updates from linkedin or facebook) - you need to sign out of the service in View > People pane > options. When you do, the LinkedIn contacts folder disappears (or should), the wall feed disappears, and photos from the linked services will go away. Unchecking the addin should have the same effect, but that method can be goofy (and not remove the folders) since you are still logged in.

people-pane2.png

6. kburrows

kburrows

Couldn't find the People Pane at first. I had to re-enable the Social Connector. I will try removing them from here and let you know how it goes. In Outlook 2010, it was much simpler to disable. I find having the Social Connector in 2010 really slowed down Outlook. I also don't like it changing the pictures I have manually linked to my Contacts. If there were a way to tell Outlook to keep my settings first and then supplement with the social feeds, that would be more ideal.

Thanks for the help!

7. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

There is a reg key that lets you use the GAL photos first, or at least I think that is what it does - i haven't uploaded photos to my gal yet.

It's in the Outlook group policy - I'll dig it out and take another look at it. (I thought I had an article on it, but can't find it.)

8. kburrows

kburrows

Thanks Diane. Let me know if you find that article.

If I may comment on how much I appreciate the time you invest in these forums and how quickly you respond. I have been following your site and posts in newsgroups for many years. I am an IT consultant and Microsoft Partner in Charlotte and deal with Outlook all the time and have done some corporate training in Outlook. Your advice and answers have been very helpful these many years.