1. Here's a thread that needs an answer: DataNumen Exchange Recovery

Changed my "From" email address creates problem with previously saved contacts

Discussion in 'Using Outlook' started by JackPollack, Jan 1, 2013.

1. JackPollack

JackPollack

I have changed my "from" email name in OL not to include my company name. As a result when I edit a previously created contact OL pops up a check name box and tells me it doesnt recognize contact (my old contact "from" name).

If I look at the contact "All mail fields" the "from" is MY old from address. This field is read only.

I was going to write a vb script to update this, but I cant even find an property to change.

I am able to get the contact item but contact.from, contact.sentonbehalfofname are not valid properties.

How can I change this via vb script or other way to update several hundred contacts
  2. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

Re: Changed my "From" email address creates problem with previously saved cont

You get this dialog when you edit any contact? And its saying it doesn't recognize your own name? If shouldn't matter if the "owner" name is you old name - what matters is the current contact's name and address.
  3. JackPollack

JackPollack

If I edit the email address filed of any old contacts created before I change my name the box pops up.

As I said I can see the old name in "All mail fields" - "from" on the contact record, but it is read only
  4. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

The name on the all mail fields indicates who created the contact, it shouldn't affect the ability to edit the contact. The only way to change the From field is by exporting then importing, but it sounds more like the problem is with the addresses you are entering.
  5. JackPollack

JackPollack

the addresses I am entering are ok, also if I created a new contact I dont have the problem.

If I export I guess i cant export to a pst. Which format should i use? will this reatin all of my data? do I need to map the fields, or just export and then import?
  6. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

I don't think exporting to a pst will change your name, you need to export to excel or CSV. Can you post a screenshot of the dialog you get?
  7. JackPollack

JackPollack

pic.JPG

This is the dialog I get after changing an email address
  8. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

That is the dialog i thought it was... but it's weird that its asking to check your name. Exporting to CSV or XLS then importing (and removing the old copies) should fix it.
  9. JackPollack

JackPollack

just tried exporting to csv and also tried vcard. both fixed this problem but both lost custom picture. Many contacts have a custom picture that I need to keep. you can think of any way of copying or editing in place to change that field but retain pic

- - - Updated - - -

just tried exporting to csv and also tried vcard. both fixed this problem but both lost custom picture. Many contacts have a custom picture that I need to keep. you can think of any way of copying or editing in place to change that field but retain pic
  10. JackPollack

JackPollack

Update:

just copy & pasted the contact.The new duplicate contact from field says "unknown", but I still get the dialog. very strange
  11. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

Yeah, images are not supported in exports. Copying the contacts using VBA should work. Are they the contact photos or business card images? Do you use more than the most common fields?
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  12. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

Three step process:

Save contact photos using VBA. Export (save) Outlook Contact photos - Slipstick Systems

Import the CSV.

Restore photos using VBA. Batch Import Photos into Outlook Contacts - Slipstick Systems

you could use my original plan and just use VBA to copy the contact, but you can't "just copy" the picture field, you need to save it to the hard drive then add it to the new contact. And you need to add every field to the code... the three steps should be a lot faster, especially because I have the code already. :)
  13. JackPollack

JackPollack

I had to modify the pic export/import a bit because some of the pics only have company names (no first or last).

On a quick glance everything looks ok. Pics reimported and the number of contacts is ok. Need to spend some time looking at the data to make sure everything is ok. original problem with check names box is also fixed.

The only thing that concerns me is if I select all contacts and drag them to a folder on my desktop and look at the total file size of ll contacts the new total is a few MB smaller than the original total.

I dont think it is because I am missing any client pics. I tried it with a small subset that didint have anay pics and it looks like the export/import reduced the total size of that group aswell
  14. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

In addition to removing the 'bad' From entry, you probably also removed / reset some other mapi properties. I wouldn't expect to lose more than a few KBs per contact though. Oh, if you have any attachments besides the image, you'll lose them as well.
  15. JackPollack

JackPollack

So I started going through the new contacts and although all of the contact data appears to have imported correctly the new data set is quite different from the original in layout which is a big problem.

Most importantly the "file as" is missing, so all of the companies that I need to look for are now filed by contact name. In most cases the contact name for these companies is secondary.

Also I have noticed the the preferred phone numbers, order of numbers displayed, default address displayed, etc has defaulted back.

This extra meta data probably accounts for the smaller file size of this new set.

The new data is unusable in this format. Any other ideas on how to repair the original problem, or maybe a macro I can run on the new data that would extract the meta data from the original and apply it to the new set.
  16. Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Administrator
  17. Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Administrator
  18. JackPollack

JackPollack

they are all different eg one may have business1, business2, another may be business1, assistant, mobile.

Also, what about the "display as" this is really important (also different for each contact)
  19. Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Administrator

That would be impossible to fix using code.

I have code that can fix the display as - but it would be one format for all. http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/contacts/bulk-change-outlook-contacts-email-display-name-format/

The other option is going back to my original plan of using a macro to copy all fields to a new contact. This won't help the phone # display (I don't think) but it will copy the display as field.
  20. Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Administrator

That would be impossible to fix using code.

I have code that can fix the display as - but it would be one format for all. http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/contacts/bulk-change-outlook-contacts-email-display-name-format/

The other option is going back to my original plan of using a macro to copy all fields to a new contact. This won't help the phone # display (I don't think) but it will copy the display as field.