1. Notice: I had to turn off email alerts for everyone. Anyone who wants email notification can re-enable the email alerts in their profile at outlookforums.com/account/preferences (and Alert Preferences). Also verify your email address is correct under Contact Details.

Outlook/Google Configuration

Discussion in 'Using Outlook' started by david.delano, Feb 18, 2013.

1. david.delano

david.delano

Here is what I have. I have two VBA macros. One is the macro to run the rules. The second, and I assume it's triggered on a reminder, checks the notification for the name "File Email" then runs the other macro. I think created a Task named "File Email" and set it as reoccurring daily. I set it to have a reminder at 8:00pm. I also added a rule that finds an email subject of "Email Filter Test" and does a pop up. I then generated an email with that subject and put it in my Inbox.

At 8:00, I got a pop-up saying that the rules had run, though that might have actually been generated from the macro. I also got a reminder saying the task was 3 hours overdue (I created it around 5:00, but don't see a way to put the time in the task). This all appears to be working.

Is this the cleanest way to do this?

However, I'd like this to all be as transparent as possible. I don't want any reminders popping up. Any way to make them go away?
  2. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

You can't prevent the reminder popping up, you can set the macro to mark the task complete so it goes away and you might be able to close the reminder window using vba. Without seeing the vba, cant comment on the popup but if its a msgbox that says its finished you can remove the code from the macro once you are sure it works.
  3. david.delano

david.delano

Diane -

The scheduling task has been a bit problematic. I made it a daily reoccurring task, but once the reminder fires, I wasn't getting another reminder the next day. I changed it to a "schedule the next day after complete" type pattern and that seems to work, but I have to go in and complete the task to get it rescheduled (this could have been the issue with the daily task, too). So, I did some searching on how to automatically complete the task, but have not found anything useful. I'd also like to close the reminder, if possible. Here is what that macro does, so far, with comments for the additional logic.

Private Sub Application_Reminder(ByVal Item As Object)

If Item.MessageClass <> "IPM.Task" Then

Exit Sub

End If

If Item.Subject = "File Email" Then

RunAllInboxRules

' Complete this task

' Close reminder popup

End If

End Sub

Otherwise, the task is only getting run every few days when I remember to complete the task so that the next one gets scheduled.
  4. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

Add

Item.Complete = True

Item.Save

before the End If.

If a lot of tasks fire and it's busy running the macro/rules, it might not mark the task complete though. I tested it with tasks that opens a web page and 1 or 2 tasks worked fine - 3 and 4 were iffy with most tasks marked complete, 5 firing at once and it did not mark any complete. your code might be better - mine has a wait built in while IE opens and the quick succession of reminders causes outlook to lose track of the first items.
  5. david.delano

david.delano

I added the two lines, and will see how it behaves tomorrow. There is only one task, so hopefully it isn't a problem. Should I possibly move those two lines up, and run RunAllInboxRules last?
  6. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

One task should be fine. You could try putting that first. Now that I think about it, my logic was faulty when i decided it needed to be last. The reminder is already triggered, so it doesn't matter when we mark it complete.
  7. david.delano

david.delano

I think I have this running fairly well. I still have some work to do on the timing. The archive does not run at the same time every day so it's difficult to tell when to schedule the rules to run. Also, if the computer is off when the task notice fires, I get a pop up saying I missed the event, and I have to reschedule it to get the rules to run.

Just a thought - the archive can't kick off the rules, but could the rules script kick off the archive?
  8. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

AFAIK, the autoarchive commands are not exposed in the object model. You'd need to use sendkeys - which is very clunky.