1. Here's a thread that needs an answer: Business Projects question

Setting up Gmail - re use the pst?

Discussion in 'Using Outlook' started by Vincenzo, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Vincenzo

Vincenzo

I moved my friend's pst file to his newly restored Windows 7 computer. I put it in the same location in Documents/Outlook files. (He uses Outlook to access his Gmail account, I'm assuming it was set up as IMAP).

Then I opened Outlook 2010 and set up the account, letting Outlook auto configure it, and it set it up as IMAP. I was expecting the chance to tell it to use the old Outlook file, but I never saw that option. It created a new pst file in the same location in Documents. I copied over the info that I needed by opening the old pst, but I am wondering if there was a way I could have told Outlook to use the old pst file. I do seem to remember reading once that you cannot re use an IMAP pst, but I am not sure if that refers to the pst in Documents or the one in AppData. Thanks
  2. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

IMAP accounts need to make their own data file - you can't reuse an imap pst created by a different profile.
  3. Vincenzo

Vincenzo

OK thanks. Is that true of both of the pst files that Outlook creates for IMAP accounts? I seem to have one pst that I believe is for Contacts and Calendar, and another one for the emails. Thanks
  4. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

No, only the email pst. You can use any local pst for calendar and contacts.
  5. Vincenzo

Vincenzo

OK thanks for clearing that up.